Can religion/belief in god become an addiction?

THIS LIST IS not MINE!

SYMPTOMS OF RELIGIOUS ADDICTION

© Paschal Baute 1993

• Inability to think, doubt, or question religious information and/or authority
  • Black-and-white, good/bad, either/or simplistic thinking: one way or the other
  • Shame-based belief that you aren't good enough or you aren't doing it right
  • Magical thinking that God will fix you/ do it all, without serious work on your part
  • Scrupulosity: rigid obsessive adherence to rules, codes of ethics, or guidelines
  • Uncompromising judgmental attitudes: readiness to find fault or evil out there
  • Compulsive or obsessive praying, going to church or crusades, quoting scripture
  • Unrealistic financial contributions
  • Believing that sex is dirty; believing our bodies or physical pleasures are evil
  • Compulsive overeating and/or excessive fasting
  • Conflict and argumentation with science, medicine, and education
  • Progressive detachment from the real work, isolation and breakdown of relationships
  • Psychosomatic illness: back pains, sleeplessness, headaches, hypertension
  • Manipulating scripture or texts, feeling specially chosen, claiming to receive special messages from God
  • Maintaining a religious "high", trance-like state, keeping a happy face (or the belief that one should...)
  • Attitude of righteousness or superiority: "we versus the world," including the denial of one's human-ness.
  • Confusion, great doubts, mental, physical or emotional breakdown, cries for help

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 8:58 AM on Jul. 9, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I think anything that takes over your life can become and obsession and/or addiction, and that includes religious practices. If it interrupts your ability to have a normal, functioning life, then yes it's a problem, and I'd consider it to be very unhealthy.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 5:23 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• This is a crap post, and you know it. Take the religious elements out of any of these points, and it be about anything, even the incessant attempt at disproving someone else's personal choices. What happened to "live and let live"?
    Boo! Not fabu!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:05 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• A few of the members here are addicted to "going at" other members for their beliefs.
    Anonymous

• Absolutely, I believe so. I also believe that it's a BIG business and that the money you are giving to the churches would be better spent on your family.
    FreeToBeMe2011

Answer by FreeToBeMe2011 at 9:13 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Even though she is fictional, Carrie's mother would be a great example. 

When it (can be ANYTHING, including, for example CafeMom) begins to take over your life, it becomes an addiction. 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:17 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Weird, my answer got cut off ...

It looks to me like this list was created out of ignorance and stupidity.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 12:03 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I believe that anything can become an addiction.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 12:33 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• ANYTHING can become an addiction.. I don't like the insert you posted because it leads only to a small group that could be classified as addicted to religion because it's based on abrahamic religions.. However there are plenty of cults that don't fit into that description and are DEFINITELY or probably more perfect examples of religious addictions.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:37 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I would say more obsession than addiction. But, yes...definitely...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:54 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Anything in extremes is always bad....

Answer by older at 11:06 AM on Jul. 9, 2011