Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How does one go about transfering from the Army to the Air Force?

I could call and ask an AF recruiter but I wanted to see if y'all knew first.


Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Jul. 9, 2011 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • Actually, there ARE "transfer" sorts of programs in place - there's a Blue to Green that lets you go from Navy to Army, so there are cases where transfers can happen. However, given the economy, the drawdowns (yes, even with everything, the military is drawing down...), changes in policy, etc, your best bet would be for you to contact an Air Force recruiter (after all, as vets, you aren't going to fall for the whole "never deploy, we'll give you tons of money and every weekend off sort of sales pitch ;-) ), and also maybe talk to your career counselor.

    You will have to re-do boot camp most likely though, and might have to take a reduction in paygrade.

    good luck!

    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:03 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

  • The simple answer - you cannot. You can ask for early dischargment, but you must be honorably discharged from one branch in order to enlist with another branch of the US military. You cannot just "transfer".

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:23 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

  • our time is up here next sept so we will be getting out (enlisted together). Can we just enlist to AF or is there some wait time we need?

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:25 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

  • Make sure your Discharge is honorable, and that your re-enlistment code is the highest it can be and you shouldn't have an issue. If your discharge is general or oth - you won't be eligible. And any RE code that indicates there were issues won't receive waivers.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Jul. 9, 2011