Those who know a little about fish

I just got a 29 gallon aquarium. Trying to figure out what kind of fish and how many of each. I was thinking maybe 3 guppies because they are top swimmers, 3 mollies and maybe 2 cichlids because they are middle swimmers, and maybe one catfish and one pleco because they are bottom swimmers? Is this a good mix? Is it ok to have the pleco and catfish or should I just keep to one or the other?
I have been trying to do as much research as I can, but I can not find anywhere an exact answer on what is good and what is not, just general temperments of each fish.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer me some personal advice.

xtwilightx

Asked by xtwilightx at 9:34 AM on Jul. 9, 2011 in Pets

• OMG - you basically just described my tank! If it's a freshwater tank - make sure you have an airrater! I have 3 fancy guppies, 1 catsish (to help clean the tank), I have 2 Black Moores (Highly suggest them - they are great - get along with everyone and help clean the rocks at the bottom of the tank!), also Glass fish are great, and a bright orange goldfish to add some great color! That's what I have and my fish have all lives about 3 years now - happy and healthy!!!!!!!
    P.S. one more suggestion: try to buy pairs or groups of 3 (kinds of fish) they like to school together and if you just buy 1 of each kind - they tend to HIDE!!!
    isismoon3

Answer by isismoon3 at 10:40 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Cichlids are very aggresive and will not be good with guppies, or mollies.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 12:29 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• i have been reading that it depends on the species, but thanks.
    xtwilightx

Comment by xtwilightx (original poster) at 12:32 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• MOST cichlids are not good with other fish...they will kill them if they threaten their territory.
    Also, black moores and gold fish are not good to have in an ordinary tank as they are huge mess makers. They need a huge tank as they expel a TON of carbon monoxide. They also grow huge (and, they do not only grow to the size of their tank)

The rule of thumb is 1 gallon of water per inch of fish.

Glass catfish are awesome fish to have. They do need a school so 4 or more is good for them. They are entirely invisible except for their heads and swim bladders...it's pretty freaking neat.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 1:33 PM on Jul. 9, 2011