Do Police Officers still provide "courtesy cards" to family and friends?

Courtesy Card

Cafemomoftwo217

Asked by Cafemomoftwo217 at 9:48 AM on Jul. 9, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• m-avi: basically a get off a ticket or out of jail free cards... they don't have to be actual cards it's more the dismissal or turn a blind eye type of thing.

OP: yes some police still extend it, some base it on the crime committed... some dont, it varies...
    for instance I knew a police officer that use tocome into our pizza shop whne I was 18 and get tacos (it was the local stop for lunch for police officers in town). I always loaded extra meat for them.. I was pulled over twice by him... once for a roll threw, once for speeding (not excessive, about 12 over) and both times he let me off. Now had I been drinking and driving or such I probably would have gotten a ticket, but he was nice because I was nice to him.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:58 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• What does that mean? I have two good friends that are police officers and I've never heard of such a thing.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:14 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Dh is a cop and I've never heard of it.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 10:33 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Never heard of that.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:24 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Get out of jail free cards? Definitely not. There's no way they could. DH is a cop, and even his badge doesn't work to get out of a ticket when he's pulled over (depending on where/when). I have FOP plates; I still get traffic tickets when I get pulled.

Maybe in different regions it works differently.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 11:09 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• well i would hope not......
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 11:18 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I have gotten warning tickets before in many different states. I also know many cops who have helped others I know get off easier. It happens in all areas.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Life- it's all about who ya know
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 11:35 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Only if they are crooked. Laws apply to everyone, even cops and those they like.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 11:37 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Super, do you really believe that?

Let's just say, YES, and the higher up the official, the better. My BIL is a very high ranking officer in a very large city, you should hear the stories. In addition, he has supplied his brothers with passes......my husband, lead foot.....many free passes. The immediate family (officer, wife and kids) all have their vehicle regs flagged-When pulled over, they are kindly (sometimes sternly) instructed to move along-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:49 AM on Jul. 9, 2011