Do the toddler bedrails really help an active toddler?

My son, almost 3 has been sleeping in his own toddler bed for awhile now. He stays in his bed and his room in the night fine. The problem is he rolls around too much and falls out. I took the toddler bed away because he seemed crowded in it. I put a twin mattress against the wall on the floor and lots of pillows along the sides. He still found his way to the floor. Last night I moved the pillows and put his dresser against it. He didn't fall on the floor, lol but he made his way to the foot of the mattress where there isn't anything to catch him if he falls off. He just can't stay put. This was just night no. 1 with the new changes but I was thinking... maybe a daybed with one of those bed rails from walmart would fix this. How sturdy are those things? Do they really fix the problem if your little one is this restless?

tresa2steppin

Asked by tresa2steppin at 10:30 AM on Jul. 9, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My ds has always been a lil wiggle worm. I tried the bed rails, he ended up with his head on the opposite side where there were no rails and used to fall off any way. so we stopped using them. we used to like the floor with pillows for when he would fall off. then when my SIL moved into her new apt. she gave us her full sized mattress so we put that in DS room..he stopped falling off the bed. we started using the rails again with the full but realized that we didnt need them. The full gave him enough room to swim around without falling
    MonkeyMommyNJ

Answer by MonkeyMommyNJ at 10:43 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• We just put our son in his full bed ( he is 3). He is all over that thing, but hasn't fallen off. He would with his toddler bed because he didnt have the room. Check out first steps.com and look up their inflatable bed rails...
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 12:38 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• my dd are both in twin beds, daybeds, no rails. I'm not sure how even with their wiggle worm bodies have only hit the floor once or twice in the yr they have been in them. you may have to try a few before getting it right...i know my cousin still has her 3 yr old on a twin mattress on the floor...
    LadyOsgood

Answer by LadyOsgood at 4:24 PM on Jul. 9, 2011