No drinking, no smoking & no sex

So, I asked a question about influence on our kids...

I'm getting the idea that I'm the only patent that does not drink, smoke or have male friends over infront of my kids. I don't allow four letter words or other bad words to be said.

Not that I don't have male friends, I just leave that part if my life separate from my kids lives.
I do not sleep around! I have a male friend & that is our business, unless things get more serious.

So, I'm I sheltering my kids?

Its not like my kids don't know that stuff is out in the world, just no in our lives...

They are ages 17,12 & 11...

SassySue123

Asked by SassySue123 at 10:32 AM on Jul. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• Actually octobersmom, I voted you down, and I am NOT your stalker. Haven't you ever heard of lead by example?? How is that sheltering?
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 12:52 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• No, you're not sheltering your kids you are putting your Mom responsibilites first - which is where they belong.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:34 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Personally, I wouldn't raise my children that way. I feel your sheltering way to much. If children aren't exposed to these things while they are home, they will go nuts when they finally are - and they won't have mommy to protect them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I think your parenting techniques are great. But, i also think that a mom who may smoke, or drink...or has a boyfriend she is intimate with....does not make her a bad mother at all. Both types of moms can raise wonderful children.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:44 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I was raised around parents who drank a drink or two on rare occasions and a father who smoked, and I don't feel like the "exposure" set a bad example. We don't smoke and we have about 6 drinks a year (one at a time). I think that the separation of what a child can do and what is only for adults is an important distinction to learn, and that modeling of acceptable behavior (and I think drinking a drink at a bbq or at dinner is acceptable), is important for kids.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:31 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I don't raise my kids like that, I think they need to be exposed to the different things and know how to deal with them. I've seen WAY to many kids get some freedom from their parents and go crazy. When I was in college, I saw many of them end up in the hospital with alcohol poisoning.

And honestly, I have no idea why you think that drinking is wrong. I just don't understand that line of thinking.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 10:50 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I don't raise my kids like that either. I do smoke, but I dont' do it in the house. And since I'm over 21 I will have a drink. Alcohol isn't a taboo in my home. It's not a problem either. I have been married for almost 20 years, so there is LOTS of sex in my house lol. But if I were single, Iwould be like you. I would never allow a man to stay the night while my children were home. I'm 100% with you on that lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:07 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• well i dont smoke , sleep around, and drinking is only for adult socializing ........i dont hide those things from my children either......i'm a single mom and well my kids see me being responisble they also know whats up with the world.......so you can be a good mom and still have your kids exposed to other things in life.....without sheltering them....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 11:10 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• How is drinking r smoking opposite of what Jesus taught? They drink wine in the Bible. In fact, he turned water into wine. Smoking is bad for you, but doesn't go against Jesus or the Bible.

My kids go to church too. My husband is an ordained minister, and he drinks, smokes, and swears sometimes... Although he would like to quit smoking and is working on it.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 12:25 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• i think you are doing an awesome job!!!
    ajs16919

Answer by ajs16919 at 2:20 PM on Jul. 9, 2011