Anyone know anything about Chickens?

I'm looking into getting 2 or 3 just for eggs. I live in the city but we are allowed to a have a few. I have a huge backyard so they would have plenty of space. I want to make sure that they are well taken care of and minimize the sink if at all possible. Of course safety is an issue as well.

Oh and I'm not evenn sure what kind of Chicken to get.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

MrsLLove

Asked by MrsLLove at 10:50 AM on Jul. 9, 2011 in Pets

• Cickens are easy keepers, especially if all you have are two or three hens. You'll need some type of shelter for them at night, and you should plan on feeding them the first 4-6 months if you buy chicks instead of laying hens. Once grown, they will eat quite a bit in your yard, but you should still feed them a good layer pellet, and provide free choice grit and one of the shell hardeners (or feed them washed, baked, crushed egg shells that you recycle). Other than that, they need clean fresh water available at all times.

Google 'chicken tractor' for ideas to house them. They are simple, inexpensive (less than $50) if you are a little handy with tools, and you can build them to fit your yard/home. You can buy them as well if you don't mind the extra cost. Hens are nosy, don't make a lot of noise (they do cluck), and make good pets. Even confined, 2/3 hens won't stink ... unless you confine them in a rubbermaid tote.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:43 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Check out backyardchickens.com ... TONS of info, pics, and a forum to ask questions in addition to extensive faqs on file for questions, problems, issues (with neighbors, etc.).

As for choosing a breed, do you want brown or white eggs, something showy or exotic looking, little bantams (lay teeny eggs) or jumbo sized (Jersey giants), cold or heat hardy, etc. It really depends on where you live and what 'you' want ~ but there is likely there is a breed that covers all of what you're looking for.

Fair warning ... most people that get a few hens end up wanting more :-)
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:48 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• My DH has raised chicken all his Life!! He says production Reds. We have Rhode Island Reds, Plymouth Barred Rocks to name two tried and true breeds. Best of Luck!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 3:29 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I have rhode island reds and australops which are both known for being good layers and quieter than other breeds. I have a dirt floor in my coop and add wood chips as necessary, both of which keep the coop stink free. I think there are so many ways to set up and none of them are "wrong"...unless you opt for the pp's rubbermaid option! Keep roosters out of the picture to keep noise down and go for it. Once you're set up the girls practically take care of themselves.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 3:56 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Make sure you can raise chickens in the city or county limits.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:48 PM on Jul. 13, 2011