important question

First off, please dont bash or treat me like i am stupid . it is against my beliefs to get an epidural, so if i have to have a c section, is there any alternatives that a doc is willing to do? i have been wondering this for a while, and finally got the nerve to ask.

BIMOM21

Asked by BIMOM21 at 11:56 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Pregnancy

• You cannot have a c-section with out some form of pain killer... your options are an epidural, a spinal, or general anesthetic. I'm assuming that if you'd be against an epi, you'd also be against a spinal block... which leaves general anesthetic, which is given through a mask with oxygen, and you'll be asleep through the entire delivery. I've personally had three c-sections and have had all three forms of anesthetic... and I can tell you that it's sad to have general, because you miss out on seeing your baby for the first time and you miss their first cry. However, I do know women who have opted for the general anesthetic due to a severe needle phobia or panic and anxiety about being awake for surgery. Good luck!
    prinzesstephi

Answer by prinzesstephi at 11:59 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I'm not sure, but I think the only other option is general anesthesia.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 11:58 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• It's not safe to have a C-section without anesthesia. You could jump or wince and cause harm to yourself and your baby. Talk to your doctor about how they can help you through this. You have to do a birth plan any way (I told my doc that my plan was I push, you catch) You are paying them enough not to have any embarrassment about your needs or wants. Good Luck!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:15 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Against what kind of belief? I am curious.. I know of religious beliefs that won't take blood - but an epidural does not give you any kind of blood. A spinal block is similar, but different - it is inserted directly in your back.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_spinal-block-for-labor-pain_1489918.bc

Epi and Spinal block are the most common used since the mother is awake and aware during the c-section and general anesthia actually increases risk of complications for the mother.

Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 12:50 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Here is an article on anesthesia used during c-sections: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/54590.php

Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 12:51 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• its not religious, its a personal belief
    BIMOM21

Answer by BIMOM21 at 8:10 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• If you wind up with an emergency C-section, my advice would be to do whatever the doctor says and go back to hating epidurals after you have your healthy baby.

I guess I don't understand the question - if you don't want them, don't have them. However, if they are cutting you open...........what do you want - Tylenol?
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 9:30 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• no i just dont want a needle in my freaking back. all i am asking is about an alternative. i dont have to have one, but want to know just in case i do. it is against my beliefs anyway.
    BIMOM21

Answer by BIMOM21 at 9:45 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• ASK YOUR DOCTOR
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• im going to as soon as i get one. i dont have one at the moment. i just wanted some insight before i did.
    BIMOM21

Answer by BIMOM21 at 10:20 AM on Dec. 17, 2008