When is a good age to talk to your kids about drugs?

My DD is 9 1/2 and she has been asking me a lot of questions about drugs. She has heard by now, that drugs are bad for you. Well....now she is asking things like:

"why are they bad?"
"do they kill you?"
"which ones are the worst?"
"what do they look like & how do you take it?"
"i saw on the history channel that hippies love acid...what is acid & what does it do to you?"

That's just a few examples. Now, i minored in pharmacology so i happen to know quite a bit about drugs & pharmaceuticals. I have one side of me that thinks "she is too young for this"...then another side that thinks "well, if she is asking....maybe it's time i tell her the truth about drugs".

I did explain to her about some drugs like heroins & how lots of famous people died using it . I told her from a medical standpoint what it does to your body & how it can kill you. I also told her about acid since she asked. But, now i kind of feel bad. I feel like maybe she is too young to explain this stuff to.

It's hard for me, because i know a lot about drugs & pharmaceuticals, so there is a side of me that wants to explain from an honest medical standpoint when she asks.

What would you do? What age do you think is appropriate to talk about drugs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Jul. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• My son is 9 and I've started talking about drugs recently. No big conversations, but a few sentences here and there.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 11:53 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Hell I started talking about it since my daughter was 3. Started with stuff she could understand like smoking and drinking. Now she is 14 and wouldn't dream of smoking, drinking, or doing drugs. I have a sister who is a druggie and I used that as an example. "See how Auntie acts? It's because she does drugs and we know that drugs are not only illegal but bad for you too."
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 11:56 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I would talk about it now and be as open and honest as possible. If they don't learn it from you, they will learn it from someone else. They are never really too young if they are already asking questions. Seems as if she's already heard a little something about it and is now curious. I also encourage parents to start talking about suicide with kids before they turn teens. Most parents have the sex and drug talk but fail to talk to kids about suicide which is becoming a real problem with a lot of young teenagers. Kids need to be aware of some of the reasons and how to deal with them. They need to know what changes they will go through as a teen and be aware that it is normal and feel comfortable knowing that they have you to talk to. Good luck!
    BitsMom00

Answer by BitsMom00 at 11:57 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Well shes asking to start her now
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 11:58 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• 12
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• In my town they start the program in elementary. Drugs come in all forms and little people need to know.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 11:58 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• at the age that they can understand, it doesn't hurt to start early;)
    susaninman

Answer by susaninman at 11:58 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Thanks ladies! I don't feel so guilty anymore, My DH was a bit upset that i was so descriptive....but she REALLY wanted to know. I also think that if she is asking, she is ready to know.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:03 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I started at about 5 or 6. Waiting until a child is 12, is way too late. There are kids that are already addicts at 13. You don't wait until something happens. With your background, you are the perfect person to have an honest and open conversation with your child. DO IT NOW!!! I have a certificate in AODA Counseling and my, now 15 yr old has read my textbooks for Psychopharm and has learned a lot about drugs and how addiction ruins the body and mind. He doesn't even want to drink and he is adamant that he will not smoke a cigarette. He went to school talking about how many toxic ingredients are in a cigarette. His teacher asked where he got his info and if the person would share with her. He said, "MY mom and yes she will." His teacher now has a couple articles that she uses in her talks about drug and alcohol prevention.

You did great. When a child asks, they want to know and are ready to know.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:51 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• If she is asking, I'd just talk to her and be honest about them.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:59 PM on Jul. 9, 2011