Is it normal to have relapse in post partum depression?

I had post partum depression when my son was born.Now he is almost 3 and i feel i am depressed again. I treated the depression w pills and i used them form 8 -9 months. now fast forward. I feel im going down that path again. .... Is this something that happens like that? You never recover?

ClaribelC

Asked by ClaribelC at 12:26 PM on Jul. 9, 2011 in Health

• I have that problem, my doctor said I'll have to go back on the meds if I can't learn to control it...
    something_

Answer by something_ at 12:27 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Some people will have to take meds forever and others don't. I was on meds for 13 years before I got off.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 12:28 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Whew, I'm glad you asked! Our DD is only 6 mo (we have two older boys) but I was great for about 4 months, and man you'd think I was bi-polar and depressed now. I probably need to get on something myself. So to answer your question, I'd say absolutely possible :) GL and take care
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 12:35 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• You are probably just depressed. Not PPD, but just depressed. Talk to your doctor, get back on meds and go to counseling to help you learn behavioral techniques to help control the depression. I was on meds for a few months when my son was about 18 months old. I also went to counseling because my doctor wouldn't prescribe them unless I went and showed him proof. The counseling helped tremendously!! It was so nice to have someone listen to me for an hour a week. I learned ways to control the depression and the anxiety attacks I was having.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:41 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Yes. It can fluctuate. Three is a pretty intense age too. Please go back for more support and advice from you doc. x
    Womamhood

Answer by Womamhood at 4:30 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• update: Went to Dr. Family Dr. and would not give me ANYTHING!! She sent me to an evaluation and based on other symptoms she says it could be my Thyroid medicine to working right! Who would have thought it. I also spoke w a Counselor and this person who knows me forever and happens to be a good friend too gave me some strategies to deal w stress and anxiety! I have placed in my mind everytime i get ansious and sad. I have some exercises she gave me and they really work!! Still waiting for the other doctor to call and evaluate me. Im trying to keep busy at work and be occupied. That is helping.
    ClaribelC

Comment by ClaribelC (original poster) at 6:48 PM on Jul. 20, 2011