Is it important for the President to have served in the military?

Republicans, do you feel that it is important for the President, the Commander in Chief, to have served in the military? Currently, only one 2012 Republican candidate for the presidency has served in the armed forces. Dr. Ron Paul was an Air Force flight surgeon during the Vietnam War.

Most of Senator McCain's appeal during the last election was his military experience and POW status. During the debates, he showed his ignorance about the economy, and he left the campaign trail briefly to return to the Senate to vote for TARP, which has now proven to be an ill-advised waste of tax payer money. Is military experience still important in a candidate?

gammie

Asked by gammie at 12:29 PM on Jul. 9, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree with samuri.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:38 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I don't think it's necessary, but i do believe it is a plus for sure.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:35 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• When we have so many wars we are involved in it is a very good idea. We need someone with experience in foreign affairs.

Anonymous

• YES it is very important. Too many people think of people military as less than human so I think it is extremely important to have someone in office who has served
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 12:54 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Nope but I think anyone who is in higher office (Governor and above) should have college degrees.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:35 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I defiantly think it is a BIG plus but they have to be well rounded as well
    Anonymous

• It's a plus- An experience is only useless when you do NOT have it.

Agree with Gammie in terms of Romney being a puppet. A vote for Romney is a vote for more of the same-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:47 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• No it is not important to me. I am more interested in what they plan to do for our economy now a days. I want to hear how wasteful spending will STOP. I want someone intelligent with a REAL PLAN.

Anonymous

• I find it extremely important. I wouldn't vote for someone JUST because they served and their opponent didn't though. I think that serving in the military should be a requirement to be a politician period! If they're going to be voting on something that they have no experience or expertise in, that makes no sense to me.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 1:14 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I'm not technically a pub, nor do I think that military service is mandatory. Some of our WORST war time/peace time presidents were prior military.

What I DO insist on is that the president LIKE the military, make an effort to understand it and learn about it if they have no experience, and that they show respect to our soldiers. That was one of my biggest gripes with Hillary. The same applies to Obama. The fact that he outright does everything opposite of what military leaders recommend (or sits around and thinks about it for months while our troops die) during wartime is not acceptable.

There have been non-military presidents that were great CinCs along the way, so no ... that isn't my main criteria as far as who I vote for. I look for the things I stated, along with other non-military issues, but I would never vote for someone who was great if they weren't also a good CinC candidate.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 8:14 PM on Jul. 9, 2011