My daughter presented a small bald spot in her head.

Pediatrician says it does not look like a fungal infection since its smooth and not scalpy, it doesn't itch either. We were referred to the dermatologist who prescribed some ointment and will follow up in 30 days is anyone familiar with a case like this?

Betosmom

Asked by Betosmom at 12:39 PM on Jul. 9, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My daughter had this happen about 4 years & it was Ringworm. It was smooth all the way to the scalp, no itching or anything & they perscribed her some antibotics for 6 months
    BrandiM189

Answer by BrandiM189 at 12:44 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Does she wear a ponytail or pigtails in that spot? It could be from bands that are pulled too tight.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:44 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• could she be pulling it out or twisting it out?
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 1:34 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Yes!! We had this happen a few months ago. I thought my son had gotten ahold of scissors or something, but the spot was a perfect circle so we knew it couldnt be that. I did some googling and came up with ringworm of the scalp. I took him to the dr and they did a scraping and that is what it was. It is fungal and cant be treated topically so he had to take a anti-fungal by mouth. It takes 6-8 weeks to clear up completely. They say most kids are exposed to it but if there is any broken skin it is easier to get in. It is transmitted through hats, brushes, etc. The only thing we can figure is they got some new hats at his preschool that came from another center and he wore them quite a bit and must have gotten it from there. We completed the treatment and his hair has completely grown back now.
    Cass052005

Answer by Cass052005 at 5:14 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Thank s so much for your answers this thing is driving me insane since neither one the pediatrician nor the dermatologist give me a diagnose. I noticed some small hair growing back already so I am hoping this is a one time incident and that when we go to the derm in 3 weeks he gives me a clear picture of what is going on and i can just take this as an experience. Since its summer and she isn't going to school I am not doing any ponytails which she usually wears everyday.
    Betosmom

Comment by Betosmom (original poster) at 9:21 AM on Jul. 11, 2011