How much do you care about who the First Lady is?

I understand the appeal of the First Lady, but it's not a deciding factor for me in voting for a President. I know too many people who say "Oh _____'s wife is so pretty and smart. I hope he is elected because she would make a great First Lady."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Jul. 9, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I have no interest in who the first lady is. The President makes very few decisions by himself without the agreement with the Legislative branch and I seriously doubt the first lady has any pull when it comes to executive orders. JMO.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:25 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I could care less about who the first lady is. It does help if she has style, class and brains to boot like Mrs Obama.
    mdswoman

Answer by mdswoman at 1:45 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Behind every good man there's a woman who helped get him there. So I think the First Lady is important.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 1:41 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• It doesn't matter that much to me. Unless the potential first lady was Palin.

Is her husband considering running??
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 1:57 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• does reject
    DOES NOT reject anyone.......
    sorry, I am watching The Pelican Brief and not watching my typing. Oh thatDenzel is a handsome guy.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 1:58 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• if the first lady isnt a good person then it reflects badly on the presidential, just as their children's or other family members behavior does. the First Lady has more power & responsibilities besides running the White House parties. her passions are pushed thru to the country (Hilary's universal health care, Laura's library/books, Michelle's obesity/healthy eating). the potential First Lady doesnt sway my vote b/c they are usually all great women.

i know a lot more ppl who vote for a President b/c they think he's good-looking (my mom almost voted for Bush cause he was "handsome". but she didnt vote) than b/c his wife is good-looking.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:02 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• No. I do not care what her height or weight are either.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:48 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Through our history wives have had considerable hands on roles in policy. John Adams wife was also a framer in our Constitution. She was his peer in every single way - a true partner. On tge other hand, George Washington could not imagine a woman having ideas beyond being the traditional mother and wife. But many spouses have a huge impact and say when it comes time to how our elected official votes. So yes, I find having a savy, educated, articulate and politically passionate partner a bonus. Many spouses are the managers behind the campaign. SC's former gov. Mark Sanford's wife was the political brains behind his campaign. She was one Hell of smart woman. I wish we could have kept her and booted out her (now) ex husband.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 3:25 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I don't care who she is, I do care how she projects herself. Our first lady should have poise and manners, she should have self esteem and be confident in her abilities, as the CIC's spouse.

I also don't think 1st ladies should enforce their progressive ideals or the progressive ideals of others, onto the people of our country, jmo...

agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 5:02 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• It's not really all that important to me. As long as she's decent, it's all good.
    something_

Answer by something_ at 1:43 PM on Jul. 9, 2011