Is this teething?

I feel silly asking such an obvious question, but this is my first time lol.

My son just turned 6 months old, and lately he is just not himself. He has been drooling and chewing on everything for months, but all of a sudden he is constantly rubbing his face, napping on and off all day rather than one long nap we're used to, being all around grumpy, and waking up crying at night, which is very strange for him. At first I thought the waking was nightmares because usually he fusses and wants his pacifier when we wakes up, but now he's actually crying to the point that I have to hold and rock him.

His gums don't look different at all. No fever, no change in poop or appetite.

SamanthaAgain

Asked by SamanthaAgain at 12:15 AM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Definately teething, here are some tips for sleeping: Get some teething tablets, they are homeopathic pain relif. Call the doctor and get the right dosage for infants tylenol, this will alleviate the pain totally, and also a nurse friend told me rubbing dye free childrens benadryl across the gums will help too, when teething they not only feel pain, but an itching sensation on the gums! Also, give them a cold wash rag to chew on. My son hated teethers, but loved the rags! Good Luck, hope this helps!
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 1:39 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Yes, this is teething. The symptoms are classic, and you don't need to see changes in the gums yet.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:18 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Thank you. I really do feel silly asking such a common question, but the symptoms I always hear about is drooling and chewing (which he's had for months), rash, and loose stool, which he doesn't have!
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 12:19 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Yes it is. My son (now 13 months) did the same thing when he was 6 months old. I, however, did the mistake of giving him a bottle when he woke up at night from teething. Now, he wakes up every night and wants a bottle.
    bavmom84

Answer by bavmom84 at 12:25 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• How long after this phase do the teeth usually come in? I'm in no real hurry, but this is torture for me, so I can't imagine what it's like for him!
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 12:30 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• It sounds like it. My son is doing the same thing except you can feel a tooth coming through. I also thought he was having nightmares because he would just wake up crying then fall back asleep crying. He also tries to bite my hand off and anything else in sight.
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 12:33 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• the teeth take a long time to come in, and they come in right after the other, my daughter it 10 months and when she got hers she was like 8 months, the 2 on bottom came in at the same time, then the 2 on top started to come in, they still aren't in all the way
    Trinity32188

Answer by Trinity32188 at 12:36 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Sounds like teething to me! It will be awhile before you notice a change in the gums..sometimes months!
    grooveybabe004

Answer by grooveybabe004 at 2:05 AM on Dec. 17, 2008