Do the non-vaccinated children have bad eyesight at a young age (under 10)

There are too many very young children wearing glasses and need to know if this is a problem with the NON-VACCINATED as well as the VACCINATED.  I am asking this because I know several families that dont vaccinate and the children and teens dont have bad vision, I just wanted to take a larger survey.  Thank you

kryysteez

Asked by kryysteez at 1:50 PM on Jul. 9, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think bad eye sight comes genetically, nothing to do with vaccinations.

Answer by older at 1:51 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• My cousins children aren't vaccinated & they have no eye problems at all! I have yet to get my daughter vaccinated & I don't plan on getting her vaccinated either!
    something_

Answer by something_ at 1:52 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Mine aren't vaccinated and one has glasses and 2 do not. I was vaccinated and have glasses, very poor eyesight!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 1:54 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Poor eyesight has to do with genetics, not vaccinations.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:11 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Having poor eyesight most likely comes from genetics, however it can also be caused by other things such as optic neuritis, an autoimmune disease.  Optic neuritis typically affects people ranging from 18-45 years of age. The annual incidence is approximately 5/100,000. It's an inflammation of the optic nerve brought upon by things such as bacterial infections ie: syphilis, Lyme disease, tuberculosis. It can be triggered by viral infections: HIV, Herpes Zoster, Hepatitis B. Even if you have vaccinations, if you have optic neuritis it will be triggered by something.

luvohmommy

Answer by luvohmommy at 1:22 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• The number one thing that causes bad eyesight is the shape of your eye, and that is caused by genetics. If you're seeing more young kids with glasses, then that just means that more people are becoming more concerned with their child's eye health at a younger age, and have taken their kids in for eye exams (and thus, catching the vision problems sooner).

For example - both my kids are vaccinated. My dd wears glasses (as do I, my mom, my grandma, and my great grandma - we've all worn them our whole lives. My great grandma was born in 1899, way before all these vaccinations were being given.) My ds does not. My friend does not vaccinate, and some of her kids wear glasses and some do not.

All based on the shape of the back of your eyeball.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:43 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I think any time you hear lots of "it's genetic" combined with increased incidence of something degenerative, it makes sense to take a closer look (no pun intended!)
    I hear you looking for an explanation & wondering if vaccinations are "it." First, I doubt that a poll at CM "Answers" is going to give you much meaningful data, lol. And I doubt if comparison of these populations incl. this data exists, & it seems there would be a lot of factors to control for that more probably would account for vision differences.
    It's true that some people list concerns about vaccines as a trigger for autoimmune problems as one of the reasons for not vaxing, but you can draw a more plausible causal line to the problem of increasing nearsightedness than that.
    You might be interested in this recent piece from the NY Times: The Sun Is The Best Optometrist
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 6:47 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• The data reported in that NY Times piece takes into account the situation sailorwifenmom mentions (shape of the eye) but it points out why genetics isn't a complete answer for that observation. It doesn't make sense for science to ignore environmental factors, even when some conditions are apparently genetic or inherited tendencies, as "nature & nurture" are tricky to tease apart. You have genetics & you have similar habits/environment in close family situations; both can be strong factors.

In this case concerning vision, the organ & its parts/components grow & develop; it is not static or fully predetermined. The data cited points out how the environment (or what conditions a child encounters) influences the pattern of that development & either can encourage or protect against inherited tendencies as the eye develops. This will influence "the shape of your eye" (or the length of the distance betw. the lens & retina)
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 7:03 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• QUOTE:
    ..the rapid increase in nearsightedness appears to be due to a characteristic of modern life: more and more time spent indoors under artificial lights.

Our genes were originally selected to succeed in a very different world from the one we live in today. Humans' brains and eyes originated long ago, when we spent most of our waking hours in the sun. The process of development takes advantage of such reliable features of the environment, which then may become necessary for normal growth.

Researchers suspect that bright outdoor light helps children's developing eyes maintain the correct distance between the lens and the retina--which keeps vision in focus. Dim indoor lighting doesn't seem to provide the same kind of feedback. As a result, when children spend too many hours inside, their eyes fail to grow correctly and the distance between the lens and retina becomes too long, causing far-away objects to look blurr
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 7:17 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I am pretty certain that poor eye sight is usually genetic.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 7:17 AM on Jul. 11, 2011