Not involved...

does it bother you if you have a child that is not involved in school activities?
Two kids... One into scouts, sports, and church.
One kid, doesn't like sports, no other activity.
I sometimes feel she'll regret not participating, later when it's too late.
Can't redo you jr. or high school years...
I'm not pushing her, but try to incourage...

SassySue123

Asked by SassySue123 at 1:57 PM on Jul. 9, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• We have a rule in our household, my kids must pick an activity to be involved in. It can be in any area that they chose - sports, art, cooking, volunteering, etc. I had too much time on my hands as a teen and I went down a bad path for awhile mostly out of boredom, I think. If they don't like what they've chosen they can switch once the season, class, or whatever is over. Having a variety of interests and activities has helped my son and daughter build friendships with kids from several different groups.
    cege

Answer by cege at 1:43 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I would push them into something. My son was a little like that. He played baseball fresmen year and didn't do anything else. He wanted to foucus on getting good grades. He graduated with a 4.0 gpa and applied to 5 colleges he got rejected from 2 . I am pretty sure it was to to his lack of involvement. The colleges want to see well rounded kids and the competition is stiff. If your kids want to attend college I would strongly urge them to get involved. If they are not athletic how about Newspaper, yearbook or drama club.
    jcm62497

Answer by jcm62497 at 11:46 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Kids are all different, let them choose.....

Answer by older at 1:58 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I didn't do anything in high school, and I really do regret it. I wish my parents would've pushed me into doing something, but they didn't care too much.
    something_

Answer by something_ at 1:59 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• She'll be in the 7th grade.
    Sorry, something... I wasn't involved either & maybe that's why it bothers me to see her not doing anything...
    SassySue123

Comment by SassySue123 (original poster) at 2:05 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• She's in 7th grade - give her time. The middle school may just not have what she's looking to get involved in.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:01 PM on Jul. 9, 2011