Are you worried about Social Security?

I hope the Government doesn't use Social Security as their personal piggy bank! Stealing from the elderly and disabled! I know we need to find a way out of the whole we're in as a country - but it seems to me they keep trying to take the money away from the less fortunate and the elderly. Isn't this making you mad? I pray that Social Security doesn't take a beating by the government soon, worried!?

isismoon3

Asked by isismoon3 at 2:09 PM on Jul. 9, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

Level 66 (1,275,470 Credits)
  • I hope the Government doesn't use Social Security as their personal piggy bank!

they have been using it as a personal piggy bank for decades. And if something isn't done to revamp it it will collapse.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 2:10 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• She contributed $24.75 into the program and collected $22.54 a month. She lived to be 100 and collected 92,000 percent of what she contributed.

The math was nowhere close to working at the onset. In 1935 less than 6% of the population was 65 or older and it was also the average life expectancy. Now that % has more than doubled. Roosevelt was very smart in how he set the program up but only in the sense of keeping it untouchable by politicians but he knew it would have to be modified.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 2:54 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Social security doesn't need to be revamped, it just needs to go back to how it was originally set up

It would still have problems,

Social Security was not set up to work as is. Roosevelt knew it would not work as it. It was set up to be expanded on. When you change the language, you change the debate. Roosevelt knew this. He called the tax a contribution. You were "contributing to your own retirement.
    In his words. "Those taxes were never a problem of economics. They are politics all the way. We put those payroll contributions there so as to give the contributors a legal, moral, and political right to collect there pensions. With those taxes in there, no damn politician can ever scrap ,y Social Security program. Those taxes aren't a matter of economics, they're straight politics".
    Red flags were raised almost immediately with the first person to collect. Ida May Fuller.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 2:47 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Social security doesn't need to be revamped, it just needs to go back to how it was originally set up.

A quick look at the us population will tell you thats not true. We have 76 million baby boomers, who began turning 65 this year. That is 25% of the population. Taking into account that around 7% of the population is under 5, and 25 % is under 18. I believe I read somewhere that a baby boomer turns 65 every 7 seconds. Where it use to be somewhere around 16 workers paying in per 1 retiree that is coming close on 2 workers per retiree. Thats not a problem?
    Trinity001

Answer by Trinity001 at 7:21 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I think you are a little behind on this one. They have been using our SS money for years. LOL That's why it's not going to be around when most expect it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:59 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Social security doesn't need to be revamped, it just needs to go back to how it was originally set up. But that will never happen. The program had a surplus before Congress decided to start taking money from the program. They shouldn't be allowed to touch the funds for social security IMO.

I think most employees in DC (including our congress men and women) should take a pay cut and cut funding to pet projects before they even consider cutting funding for social security and medicare.
    miss_lisa

Answer by miss_lisa at 2:26 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• "they have been using it as a personal piggy bank for decades. And if something isn't done to revamp it it will collapse."

Answer by Carpy 2 hours ago

THIS ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 4:38 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I hope the Government doesn't use Social Security as their personal piggy bank! Stealing from the elderly and disabled!

***

You mean like the CLINTON ADMINISTRATION did in order to balance the budget? Hmmm....
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:10 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• The looting of Social Security has been going on since 80's and will be in great trouble come 2018.  It's in real trouble

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 1:34 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Actually musicmom, it's been going on since the 60's. the fund is full of IOU's (treasury bonds)
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 2:24 AM on Jul. 10, 2011