My son that is 5 months way from being 2 wont liston to me im a single mom

my son like to get in the the frig geting and  in to my pock it book..if he gets mad he hits me or gos after the other kids.. i say no no no all the time an i put him in time out then tell him y he was in time out.. but its still not working. what can i do ???

Matthew121709

Asked by Matthew121709 at 2:12 PM on Jul. 9, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My DS is also 5 months away from being 2, and he is doing the exact same thing. If we tell him no he starts throwing tantrums. We've recently started time outs. He sits on his time out chair, and throws his fit. Once he is done, I explain to him why he was in time out and then he is allowed to get up. While he is throwing his tantrum I leave the room so im not playing into his tantrum. As soon as he realized im not giving him attention because of this tantrum he stops.
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 2:21 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I get down to their level and explain what they are doing wrong and this is a good age to pick out a "time out" spot, maybe a rug or the steps somewhere away from everyone. While you explain what they are doing wrong explain they will have to sit in time out on the time out spot. If they get up do not react just put them back, do not make eye contact and simply tell them they get up they get one more minute and make sure there is a timer involved. Also do not give into tantrums, just walk away and they will learn real fast that there is no point in tantrums. When it comes to shopping and they want something explain your not there for toys or whatever and you will let them know when they can have the toy or whatever. sticking to your guns in key and do not back down.
    Anonymous

• when it comes to hitting take the hands and say hands are for hugs not hitting....and also say things like "mommy doesn't hit you so don't hit mommy". they don't know how to act and we need to guide them into the right behavior.
    Anonymous

• thank you all ill will try it all he dos have a time out spot. an if i walk away he crys an makes him self sick.. he knows if he gets sick hell get out....i get down to him an tell him y... ill just keep doing what im doing maybe it will work
    Matthew121709

Comment by Matthew121709 (original poster) at 9:34 AM on Jul. 14, 2011