My daughter is afraid of baths

Ok so every time i give my daughter a bath she screams and says monster what in the world do i do? Sometimes its only when i put the water over her head but it never goes in her eyes. Then when i ask her if she wants a bath she just says monster SOME ONE HELP please

mommaof2-2011

Asked by mommaof2-2011 at 2:39 PM on Jul. 9, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• GL
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 2:45 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Mine too she screams and yells like I'm trying to kill her, i just was her hair as quick as possible anymore
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 2:47 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• You might try helping her bathe one of her dolls first (assuming she has a washable doll with hair).

Let her take the lead, and talk about how much fun the doll is having, and how nice she looks and smells when she's done. Once she is okay with this activity. Let her doll bathe with her. She can wash dolly, while you wash DD. Use a cup/bowl (of some kind) to rinse her. Start with only rinsing her back or tummy. When she's comfortable with that, move up a little higher until you can rinse her head without fear. Be careful not to let water run over her face (if this is the scary part for her).

If she doesn't seem to be comfortable with water rinsing over her head, just use a wash cloth on her head for now. Progress slowly, letting her get used to each step up -- even if it takes days for her to get there. I had a similar problem with my DD when she was little. This worked for us. GL :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 3:09 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Have you tried giving her showers my son use to hate baths but will take a shower all day. Maybe get her a special monster hunting toys like a batton that she can have in the shower and when she sees a monster have her scare it off with the toy.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 3:11 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• i have tried a wash cloth she still screams. and she has a monster toy but shes to little to understand. she screams like im killing her to. it breaks my heart to see her scream like that. I know this may sound crazy but maybe she does see something who knows, babies can sense that more then we can
    mommaof2-2011

Comment by mommaof2-2011 (original poster) at 3:50 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• we have done some sink bathing especially when my 4 yr old is having one of her bad days. I have a divided sink, so one girl in each side (2 and 4) I use a wash cloth to wet them, then soap them up with a sponge, and spray them off with the sprayer...some nights we strictly do sponge baths...my 4 yr old who use to be terrified of water now loves spa night...i let her lay on the counter and wash her hair like they will at the beauty salon...in the bathtub i will often just do a rain shower...which is using the detachable head and creating rain above them to play in...it hurts and isnt fun but you have to work with her...call it a different name (like time to swim in the tub) explain where the water goes...or get in with her...just do what is comfortable and follow your mommy heart...
    LadyOsgood

Answer by LadyOsgood at 4:21 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• thats what i did the other day i got in with her and she was fine so probably what i will have to do until she gets used to bathing alone thanks everyone for your help
    mommaof2-2011

Comment by mommaof2-2011 (original poster) at 4:54 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• When my son was a year old he was scared of taking baths too and what I did was get in the tub with him and showed him that there was nothing to be afraid of and with in 2 weeks he wasn't scared of the tub anymore. Hope this was helpful!
    Hershey_kisses

Answer by Hershey_kisses at 1:40 PM on Jul. 10, 2011