This is gonna seem like a strange question for all you mainstreamers but...

Does anyone know of any "How To" books about Christian Holiday celebrations?

I've never celebrated these holidays, and my husband, the Christian, has never been big on them. But I want our kids to have the same kind of holidays as their friends. Problem is, I don't know how...

For my holidays we decorate, sing songs, tell stories, do crafts, eat special dinners and other traditions... I want them to have the same kind of things for their "fathers" holidays too...

So, I need "how to" information for celebrating Easter, Thanksgiving & Christmas with kids or as a family... History, traditions, songs, stories, crafts... I want it all. And I would PREFER actual books, but I'll do the online thing if I HAVE TO...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Jul. 9, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• These are catholic resources that I use for my kids. You could very easily apply it to any Christian denomination.

http://astore.amazon.com/domesticchurchco_christmas-20

I got them from this website which has as lots of information about making your home into a Domestic Church.

http://www.domestic-church.com/

tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 2:44 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I must be a duffus-Thanksgiving is a Christian holiday lol?
    Anonymous

• Sorry, I wanted to add that the Advent, Christmas, Epiphany book has lots of crafts, recipes, songs and explanations. It's the one I use the most in my home. It's very hands on. :)
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 2:47 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Yes, Anon, Thanksgiving IS a Christian Holiday. As a Pagan, I celebrate Mabon, which is when the ORIGINAL Thanksgiving would have been celebrated, it was changed so that it would be disconnected from it's Pagan roots and be more "appropriate" for Christians.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:50 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• You might have some luck by checking out your local public library. I start checking out the books about a month before the holidays so I can try recipes and have my kids make ornaments.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 2:56 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Yes, of course I watch TV. But since my own faith is shown so inaccurately I have learned never to trust what's on TV. I want traditional games, music, crafts, stories & recipes. I don't know this stuff. I was raised not only not celebrating, but not exposed to it. We weren't allowed to watch ANY movies or TV with Christmas or Easter stuff. So beyond the Big Tree and Stuffed Bunny, I'm rather clueless.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:28 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• So you were raised Pagan? I just did a search on Amazon, it looks like there might be a few good choices in there:
    Christmas
    Easter
    Thanksgiving
    What about your husbands parents? Do they have any holiday traditions you could adopt?

Sparrow24

Answer by Sparrow24 at 6:42 PM on Jul. 9, 2011