When do you stop formula feedings?

how old does a baby have to be to stop feeding him/her formula, i was told 1 year, but it seems to soon, like they need the nutrition

Trinity32188

Asked by Trinity32188 at 12:25 AM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I gave my kids formula until 18 months - 2 years, but only one or two bottles a day. (Usually one in the morning and one at night) Like you, I felt like I wanted to be sure they were getting enough nutrients. My pediatrician had no issue with this. It felt right to me. I would have breastfed longer but my milk supply poofs when the demand decreases. The one year is a guideline.. certainly do what feels right to you. Longer will not hurt your child. Also, my kids LOVE the gummie vitamins. If you're worried they aren't getting everything they need you could look into something like that.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 1:41 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• if they are on a consistant normal solid foods diet, such as 3 meals plus snacks, no they don't need formula.

if your child eats less solids than is recommended, then you can use the next step formulas that are meant for toddlers, but IMO they are a waste of $ if you are feeding your kids right.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• At one year it's ok to start weaning to whole milk. Just take your baby's cues and go slow if it feels right. By a year the baby should also be eating a lot of solid food, so that's where the nutrition comes in.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 12:29 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• yeah I started DD on whole milk at one year. No more formula.
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 12:30 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• my daughter is 10 months and 2 months away just seems to soon, but thank you all for your advice :)
    i will stop at 1 yr
    Trinity32188

Answer by Trinity32188 at 12:34 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• After the first year your little one's tummy will be ready to digest all the nutrients they need from natural or whole food sources. If you're giving her plenty of freshly cooked fruits and veggies then she'll be getting everything she needs. You might even consider making all your own baby food to ensure that she's getting the absolute freshest food for maximum nutrition. There's a group here on cafemom for Moms who want to learn how to make their own baby food and to share recipes. Check out my page for a quick link!
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 12:48 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• At one year you can switch them to whole milk. Another option that is a little easier on the tummy and more nutritionally correct is whole goat's milk. Most Walmarts carry it in the refrigerated section.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 1:16 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• They can start milk at one year, but there are other options. The important part is that your child eats a variety of foods to get all the nutritients he or she would have gotten form the fomula. There are state two formulas from different manufacturers. There are vitimains and healthy drinks you can use to supliment your child's diet as well.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 9:06 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• 12 months is the earliest you should stop, and it is when most people do stop. If your child is not eating food well, then it's probably a good idea to continue.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:16 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• They do need the nutrition, but they should be getting it from other places by this age. Whole milk, veggies, fruit...etc. If you are still afraid try giving them an in between substitue. It's made by enfamil and nestle, you give it to your child when you want to make the transfer from formula. It has all the vitamins of formula with the same goodness as whole milk! Unfortunately, my son hated it! So, whole milk it was for us! Good Luck!
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 1:35 PM on Dec. 17, 2008