How much is too much disapline for a child/toddler

i have two boys ages 3 years and 9months.
My 3 year old is a tester beyond belief and no matter how many times you tell him no on something he will keep testing your boundaries until you crack and just say fine. But i have tried timeouts with him in 3 different spots for bad behavior and he just keeps getting up or testing me. I have tried timeouts in the living room in the corner on a chair and turned the TV off for his timeout but that didn't work because he just kept getting up. I then tried it in the kitchen next to the Microwave but he thought it would be cool to get up and turn the microwave on. SO my last spot i tried was on the stairs and close the door so he couldn't see anything, well he just kept kicking the door and thought it was funny. I know your not suppose to spank but i do it and it seems to be the only thing to be working.
My 9month old i have to tell NO alot to. No matter how many time i redirect him he just goes back in the same thing i just redirected it from.
what are ways to punish a 3 year old..

2boysyahoo.com

Asked by 2boysyahoo.com at 2:51 PM on Jul. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• Perhaps the problem lies in your choice of punishment versus reinforcement? You've tried telling him no, removing privileges from him, etc., which are forms of negative punishment but what about trying to focus on defining how he should behave? To a toddler, I'm sure it's confusing if he's always being told not what to do without also being told what he should do. Reinforce his good behaviors by rewarding him with a few treats and privileges every time you see him do it. Sometimes also correcting the behavior means to ask him to show you what is the proper way to do something. (Ex: Mommy likes it when you raise your hand when you want her attention. Can you show me this? Good! (give him a treat and praise)) Practicing good behavior helps him to see the consequences of good behavior. You could even turn it into a game. You must not give in to them or you're teaching them that they can win if they push hard enough
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 3:00 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• My almost 3 year old gets spanked its the only thing thats get through her head sometimes, most of time though she has to stand at the wall with both hands and I will keep her there for 2 mins. If he's not staying put try taking everything out of his room just let a bed and dresser if you have it and thats where time outs would be and shut to door. I also have a 10 month old and she does the same thing, but they have no idea what your saying when you say no. Keep a place for them to play where they can get into everything and anything, everything there is theirs it's all safe. I have a play room and will put them in there with a gate at the door and know they are safe because it's a room full of their toys only until I can give them my undivided attention.
    Anonymous

• 1,2,3 Magic!! I started using it with my son when he was 4 yrs old and I use it now with him and with the lil girl I watch who is not yet 2 yrs old. They will get the idea pretty fast. You can check your local library for copies of it and check it out from them. It costs a lot if you buy it, but totally worth it! It's like some kind of treasure let me tell you.
    Eko

Answer by Eko at 5:13 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Our 3 year old daughter is about the same as you described, but spankings don't work either, she is an angel with everyone else, but a little devil at home! nothing gets through to her, most of her toys have ended up in the trash, because Dad told her, if she didn't pick up her toys, he would throw them away, so she threw them away herself...we have tried consistency, spanking, timeouts, etc...i may try 123 magic though!
    december911

Answer by december911 at 5:32 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I put my daughter in time out than spank, she hates that alot.
    TashaStar81

Answer by TashaStar81 at 8:30 PM on Jul. 9, 2011