Too expensive to die?

why is it that nowadays it costs a small fortune just to have a funeral?
the adverage casket is anywhere from 5 -8 thousand $. plus the funeral home, buriel, headstone.

I have a living will that states when i die i want a plain pine box constructed by a family member. i dont want a wake just a burial. and no headstone other then a wooden cross with my name etched into it.
I need to find out if there is a way that i could request that i do not want to be embalmed..i have didnt think of it untill after i had my will drawn up. If i can get away with it i will add it.
Also i dont want anyone wearing black..not a drop. Only white. I believe that we are the bride of Christ and that my funeral should be an wedding

have you ever laid in an average casket?..its comfortable padded with soft satain and even a little pillow. WTF would i need this for. I AM DEAD do you really think i am going to get up and complain that i am uncomfortable. or that i dont like the color of the casket. Caskets today are also built to keep out water dirt and bugs out and they help preserve the body by locking out the majority of air so it takes longer to decompose. Are you planning to dig me up? why does it matter if my body gets wet or eaten by worms and decomposes at the normal rate. Just let me rot in peace. its not the body thats important anyway..im more worried about what happens to my soul. our body is just a vessel that we "rent" while we are here on earth, the spirit lives for eternity.

MonkeyMommyNJ

Asked by MonkeyMommyNJ at 3:04 PM on Jul. 9, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• lol, I agree with you on several levels. I think that it's turned into a business and has lost it's focus on the deceased's wishes. I can see maybe justification for a headstone so that the survivors and friends have some way of memorializing you but dying has gotten too complicated. Imagine if such expenses were used while the person was still living.... at least you'd have more memories to treasure vs something that's just going to rot underground.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 3:11 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I know what you mean!! When my son died back in 2008, we were floored by the costs. Fortunately, one of my hubby's cousins was kind enough to pay for the service, the cremation, and a very nice urn. It was $2800 compared to the almost $10,000 for a full funeral.

It's ridiculous and a HUGE scam that takes advantage of the grieving. Really disgusting.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 5:42 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• If i died under normal circumstances, I want to be cremated immediately and I want a pretty jar with my ashes in em for the "viewing which I want to be at my house cuz it's mad cheap. I want all money to go to important things, not wasted on making stuff nice for my death. I'm dead I don't care. I do however want my ashes released in ireland.
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 3:24 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• They had a show the other day where you can be buried the way you describe and they bury you with a cps thingy so if family wants to hike and visit they can. You should google it. Its also very cheap.
    I plan to be cremated.

Answer by gemgem at 3:29 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• My mom's funeral was outrageous. The plot itself was $10,000!!!!! Geez I could have purchased an acre of land to live on for that. The viewing room was $500 A DAY. I told them no thanks, we'll go to the Holiday Inn for $79 a day. They didn't find that funny. PLUS their stupid "day" was only 4 hours long. My sister bought an expensive casket but wouldn't tell me how much it was. I told her we could have dug a hole in the backyard under a tree for nothing. Again, that wasn't taken as funny but I was trying to make a point to her. I agree that we should just cremate and then go somewhere for dinner and talk about the deceased. That works for me.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:49 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• You can my mother would so get along! She wants to be cremated in a cardboard casket and then for us just to get rid of the ashes how ever we want- I always tease her that I will just flush them down the pot. She is perfectly okay with it!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:07 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Lots of people, little room in ground to bury them all respectfully, not to mention the cost of chemicals, material, etc. Cremation is much cheaper!
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:09 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• As far as embalming, you either have to be cremated or buried within 24 hours of death. At least that is how it is here. My father used to be the coroner in a county with a large Amish community who do not embalm, and that is the only way it is legal here.

I kind of feel like you. No need to spend a lot of money, I'll be dead. Cremate me after my useful organs and tissues are taken, have a cheap service, and if you bury my ashes, get a cheap stone.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 3:14 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I will be getting cremated & hopefully, my ashes will be dumped in the Ganges river.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:17 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• as much as i do not care what happens to my body after i die..i would not get cremated. I know its a little contradictory but i dont want to get rid of my body in flames..reminds me too much of hell and i do not want to go to hell. seems more natural to me..letting Gods creation take its normal course in death as He designed it
    MonkeyMommyNJ

Comment by MonkeyMommyNJ (original poster) at 3:18 PM on Jul. 9, 2011