Is it just my teenager or are they all like this....long (sorry)

She is 18 and .....
immature
doesn't talk to anyone she is related to
sarcastic
acts like she would rather be anywhere but home
doesn't have a license because she doesn't take driving seriously when I do let her drive
doesn't say anything unless she needs something
in public with her she would rather mind her own business or text
she doesn't clean or care about the appearance of anything inside or outside of the house
if she doesn't have someone to cook for her she goes hungry
she is going to college next month and classes aren't even signed up for yet
totally leaves me in the dark and won't talk about anything
makes me wonder how long this college venture is really going to last

is this all normal?

I see other teens act loving and kind with their family and it irritates me. where did I go wrong? why is she so cold?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:07 PM on Jul. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• No, they aren't all like that. It sounds like she has had too much her own way and hasn't been taught to respect her parents.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:09 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I think it's a teen thing! All teens are different. I remeber growing up my sister was a pain in my mom's a** because she was the same way like your daughter. She's 21 now. she broke out of it. It could just be a phase
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 3:12 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• They aren't all just like that, but they do all go through stages such as this one you are describing. It sounds to me like she is either struggling to discover her own independence or backing away because she is afraid of being too attached and dependent when she goes away to college.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 3:17 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• they are not ALL like that but most generally hit a stage like that. Once she is on her own she will have a rude awakening and hopefully come home with a new appreciation for you.
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 3:19 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• no not all teenagers are like that
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 3:19 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Kword~ you have some good points there
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:23 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• No their not all like that but, all my kids ages 10 12 13 15 have a mom who doesn't let them get away with not cleaning. No they don't clean when I'm away like I'd like them to,but they do clean when I get home and ride their butts. Know whats funny, is they can clean very well it's very shocking! I think some kids just don't care and it all stems from laziness. I come home sometimes to a house so clean I cried,imagine that. She'll be fine hone trust me,she'll have a guy come around and she'll worry about how she looks,then she'll concern herself with the home. She just might be a late bloomer. She'll catch on!
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 3:42 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Its because theres no dicipline goin on. I dont mean beat the shit outta them just let them know it aint their way.
    LARRYSWiiFE

Answer by LARRYSWiiFE at 3:48 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Could be her personality. Smile, it could be worse. Things do change and get better as they mature.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 4:12 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Nope, my son is respectful, social and caring. He helps around the house and keeps me in the loop with his life. He is actively looking for a part time job and will be attending community college in the fall. He will be getting his liscense next week. It sounds like she needs her phone and all of the "perks" that you provide until she can act like a normal human being instead of being self centered and rude.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 4:23 PM on Jul. 9, 2011