What are the chances of having twins that are not discovered until the 20 week ultrasound?

I've heard of a twin being hidden behind the other baby and not discovered until later in pregnancy. A woman has an early ultrasound to get a due date and they only see one baby, they only ever hear one heartbeat, then she has the 20 week ultrasound and surprise there are two babies. How often does that sort of thing happen?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:11 PM on Jul. 9, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I think more often then we think. I have even heard of women delivering only to find out they have twins.

Answer by gemgem at 3:27 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• No clue lol
    BeautyFromPain

Answer by BeautyFromPain at 4:28 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I was the miracle baby in the situation. My mother started spotting and went to her ob. He said that she lost the baby and they scheduled her for a D&C the next week. The nurse did one last heartbeat check, no result then on a whim did an ultrasound. I was hidden and my heart beat was rather slow but I was there. The nurse saved my life, I would have been an accidental abortion. Things happen even with the new technology of today Not as likely but you never know until the birth.
    LadyOsgood

Answer by LadyOsgood at 4:50 PM on Jul. 9, 2011