• In the Spotlight:

Do/Should children who are put up for adoption have a written medical family history?

I don't know if this is typical or not, but if not, don't you think this would be beneficial to the healthy future of the child?

Kword

Asked by Kword at 3:33 PM on Jul. 9, 2011 in Adoption

• I wish this were included. My son's private social worker, in the evaluation, tried to obtain medical information. His first mother chose to not disclose and regarded it as fishy. She was not really to keen on giving it up. She was a private person and viewed this as suspisious. What can I say? But yes, I wish this were explained in every adoption as optimal for the child. With the ability to later also provide information as new medical history comes to light. I view this as why it is so important to be partners with birth families and to be on the same page. I am a big fan of open adoption for this reason. Open doesn't have to mean be best friends. But it can mean, hey let's keep each other posted on important information and let's define what is important up front. Medical to me would be included as important. Going both ways - for adoptive parents to keep medical developments of the child to birth families.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 4:39 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I am adopted and I wish I had that medical history. I think it is important that you have it.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 4:08 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Seaside, you are obviously a very sad person...shame on you for behaving in this manner publicly! It is obvious you are a truly "sad" person to feel a need to generalize Firstmoms, who LOVE their children with ALL they are,( in most all instances)!! I must assume you frequent or enjoy "treasure hunting via "dumpster' diving, for it is NOT at all common where I live for young women to "throw away their unwanted children", as if they were garbage??? Please attempt to answer with compassion, relinquishing a child NO MATTER the reason is the most devastatingly event a young woman will journey forever:( CJ~
    ceejay1

Answer by ceejay1 at 3:56 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• OP, Yes in would be something of great value, if/when they change the laws when it comes to the Adoption industry. Medical info is quite valuable, as well as OBC. Knowing "who' you are and your medical background in depth would help many adopted people make valuable choices when it came to their own medical decisions, such as having children, knowing what is genetic and what may become an issue further down the road! So yes it really should be a requirement:) CJ
    ceejay1

Answer by ceejay1 at 4:01 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• i think they should
    esmith1984

Answer by esmith1984 at 3:34 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Ideally? Yes. I think they should. Unfortunately it's not always possible. I was "half" adopted. My mother is my mother but my "dad" adopted me. My mother does not know my real fathers medical history, and his family (which I did finally find) won't give it to me. I, having a number of health issues, feel it would have been of great benefit to me as a child to have known what he had and what I could be at risk for. I can only imagine children who are fully adopted would be in twice the trouble I am/was trying to figure out health issues and whatnot...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:52 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Unfortunately, I don't think it's completely possible. In my case, my mother knew who my father was and simply kept the information from me and refused any contact to get that information -even though it would have helped me. But there are lots of women out there who don't know who the father is, don't know their own fathers (and sometimes mothers as well) and have no way of listing proper medical history. And sometimes a wrong medical history is worse than no medical history as doctors will see a familial history of something, see similar signs and diagnose, without ever having fully investigated... This can cost lives, especially if the information is wrong... Where as they would have done the extra testing had they not had ANY information...

So it's a double sided sword.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:55 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Ideally yes. We have medical histories for both of our kids that were adopted and I'm very grateful for that.
    maxava

Answer by maxava at 5:16 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Obviously this is an extreme case scenario. I am referring to those who go through a private adoption or adoption agency to choose adoption for their child. Do they include medical histories? It would be helpful to the adoptive family to know the child's family medical history for future reference.
    Kword

Comment by Kword (original poster) at 3:39 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I guess I could see that. Maybe they should just suggest it as opposed to requiring it?
    Kword

Comment by Kword (original poster) at 3:51 PM on Jul. 9, 2011