I wonder if he asked Jesus when it came to paying his taxes?

There was a very unique on-cam press conference with Rep. Charlie Rangel (D-NY) on the debt ceiling. When asked where are the religious leaders on all of this, he said that the silence of the clergy, of all faiths, has been "deafening" as they consider cutting social programs designed for the poor and elderly.

Rangel: These are not political questions. These are moral questions.

Rangel: Let's do the Lord's work. And they will realize this is not justice.

Rangel: Where is the Good Samaritan?

Rangel: Why don't you call your pastor, your rabbi, your Imam. There has to be a moral answer.

Rangel: Forget Medicare, CPI and the debt and go back to the scriptures.

nation.foxnews.com/charlie-rangel/2011/07/08/nation.foxnews.com/charlie-rangel/2011/07/08/rangel-asks-what-would-jesus-do-debt-ceiling#ixzz1RddyJ9Cl

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 3:34 PM on Jul. 9, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm not sure what your question is. Do you mean should the clergy and the churches support the poor? Yes, most definitely. Before all the social programs of govt., it was your family, friends, churches, and charitable organizations that supported the poor and less fortunate.
    maggiebgood

Answer by maggiebgood at 3:40 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• We are NOT a religious society! We are a civil one. Sure, the religious groups SHOULD, and for the most part DO, do their share to care for the less fortunate, but this country (thankfully) isn't based on any religion or tied in with any religious group, so to rely on them completely is simply ridiculous!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:45 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I guess the question went over peoples heads.

He is asking What would Jesus do. He neglected to pay his taxes. I wondered if he consulted with Jesus on that issue before deciding to commit tax fraud. The post really isn't about helping the poor or not. It is about Rangel being a hypocrite.
    Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 4:03 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Sure, the religious groups SHOULD, and for the most part DO,

If your not "religious", how do you know they should?

Says who?

You?

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 4:38 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• "The post really isn't about helping the poor or not. It is about Rangel being a hypocrite."

Comment by Carpy (original poster)

Yes, he is!!! He disgusts me, he should not be a representative of anything, he is as corrupt as they can get. The progressive, "good old double standard" allowed him to keep his position, simply because he in one of them... jmo~~~
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 4:45 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Who is talking about cutting social programs for the poor and elderly? Does he expect clergy to come out and criticize government? If so, then we would just have a whole faction of people B&Ming about separation of church and state. And seriously? And if paying your taxes makes you 'moral' and a 'good samaritan' then I hope he realizes that he is excluding himself from those categories he speaks of.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:47 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• He neglected to pay his taxes and he's attempting to refer to scripture? Wow. In the bible I read, Jesus said to "give to Caesar what is Caesar's" . Seems to me that means PAY YOUR TAXES
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 6:55 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• LMAO thats rich too.Rangel ought to do some self reflecting before dishing scripture out at anyone else.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:05 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Lol, I read that and the first thing that popped into my head was that he's old, and trying to get into heaven now ... or maybe has seen a doctor and found out he's terminal.

On the other hand, I actually agree with him that all of the 'crap' spending is what should be cut rather than services (whether I personally agree on them or not) that people depend on at the moment. Those absolutely need to be trimmed, but not in a way that trims payments. They need the same cleanup the rest of the budget does.

They should be cutting ALL of the spending on anything BUT infrastructure, the military, and things people were forced to pay into, and trimming those budgets/eliminating fraud within them.

Regardless of the source, it IS wrong to let people go hungry so that pols can pay for pork.

And the UN! What THEY want for that new building would definitely be better spent on our people/country!
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 7:10 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Eff the UN..i'm so damn sick of the UN
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:17 PM on Jul. 9, 2011