Why am I suddenly less than I was?

This is an honest question. I'm just trying to figure something out. I don't mean this to be a bash on this, that, or the other religion. I just want to understand.

I've had this happen to me several times over the years. I'll be talking with someone who is (insert some kind of monotheistic religion here). We're talking and things are going just fine, until I casually mention that I'm Pagan. Then suddenly they want nothing more to do with me.

Before they knew I was pagan they agreed with a lot of what I was saying, thought I was of good moral character, thought I was ethical. You name it. After they knew I was pagan I'm suddenly some baby-killing person that's going to hell. *I* haven't changed in the slightest from one word to the next, so what gives?

Like i said before, this is not meant to open a can of worms and cause all kinds of drama, I just want to understand WHY?

Rosehawk

Asked by Rosehawk at 3:35 PM on Jul. 9, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Those that judge you for your religion are not worth your time. I am a Christian Witch and let me tell you, it isn't a very popular title....
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 4:17 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• This may not be the PC answer but those people were nothing but ignorant prejudice morons and I would not waste my time on them.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 7:44 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• These people you talk about are not worth your time, this is God's way of showing who is worth your friendship.

Answer by older at 4:21 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• It happens a lot tho many dont wanna admit it but its fear and ignorance.

People like that are raised to fear those other differing beliefs and they are ignorant because they never try to know different. They feel guilt for having spoken to someone not like them in the religious dept. and fear that they may go to hell or get black marks in heaven for having even spoken to you.

Doesnt matter how sweet you may be or how much you agree on other subject matter....all they worry about is what they have been taught God will think of them.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:08 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Some people are intolerant of ppl who believe otherwise than they themselves do I suppose. I am Christian, but have friends who are of many different "religions". I believe what I believe, and they have a right to believe what they want. Who is to say who is right and who is wrong when they themselves do not have the ultimate knowledge.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 3:42 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• That's one of the main reasons I don't talk about my lack of religious beliefs with others IRL. I want them to know me for who I am, not for some pre-conceived notion they have.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:52 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Dear Rosehawk,
    there's an ancient quote "do not throw diamonds at pigs", which means, don't waste your wisdom / feelings / time or resources to people who are too narrow-minded to understand. Worshiping and respecting nature is wonderful - and based on many ancient religions. If some people don't bother to listen or read and learn about you - and they're too quick to judge, they are like that with everyone, not just you.

Human Nature is funny: people are lazy to learn and understand someone, so they just place tags on others, just like Marmelade Jars : "Lazy", "Fat", "Ineffective".... did you notice something ? Most of these Tags make others "Lesser than them", cause this is the sure way to make them feel superior.

Not everyone is like that though. So keep your thoughts to yourself and open up to the ones you trust, the ones that proved their friendship.
    lillyblue111

Answer by lillyblue111 at 9:50 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Everyone is different so not all people will react that way. Alot has to do with what their church teaches. Some teach to be tolerant and try and win the person over to their religions. Others dont. Some people also generally dont want any confrontation or drama if you at any time come up to a disagreement so they end the friendship before it can come to that.

Answer by gemgem at 3:38 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Some things are just hard for people to accept. But I believe in God, but have an athiest Aunt. So I am used to people with different beliefs. Although I have never met a pagan.
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 3:39 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I'm surprised they turned away. Most Christians I know would have started praying for your soul. I've seen many a Christian go in to Fisherman mode thinking they have landed a Big One when they find a Pagan! I believe you have the right to believe as you wish...of course so does God. He gave you free will. That's my belief. You don't have to share it to still be a "sister" in this life.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:45 PM on Jul. 9, 2011