God without religion.. Is it really that simple?

re-li-gion \ri-´li-jən\ (noun)
A return to bondage. The word religion is traced to the
Latin -re- meaning “again” and -ligare- meaning “to bind.”

Religion is a thief that’s delighted to clean us out.
Religion plots to rob us of our spiritual possessions and
our sense of security. Oh, and religion is happy to drop by
our doorstep later to offer it all back.
At a price.
So how can we keep our confident rest in Jesus from
being stolen and held for ransom? By abandoning
any form of religion.
Is it safe to just abandon religion? As we’ll
see, it’s not only safe; it’s God’s passionate
desire for us. But if we’re to escape the
clutches of religion, we need to see religion
for what it truly is.

The above is an exert from a new book by Andrew Farley..

What do you think about his views?

girlglow6

Asked by girlglow6 at 3:53 PM on Jul. 9, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I should explain. My belief is that there is one spiritual force who has presented himself differently to different people (even sometimes in the form of multiple gods) according to what they would accept. His purpose was to bring peace so we could kindly support one another. Reiigions were all basically formed on the same tenets of moral and ethics . . . not steal, not murder, not be jealous, not cheat, not lie, etc. The specifics, though, are all of human design.

I believe we are all worshipping the same force, and that force still has one simple purpose.

The evidence of infiltration of power and greed lies within the congregants who forget the basic principals and live life in a hateful and unethical manner.

This is separate from non-believers. It does not matter if one believes or doesn't believe. If the heart is good and the person lives ethically, then the acknowledgement of a force is actually unimportant
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:24 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I have many many Gods & Goddesses... But no real religion. I have no use for it. I don't personally understand anyone's need or want for religion. It inhibits personal & spiritual growth, misleads and ill-informs for the benefit of some "ruling body" or group and causes separation over petty details... I prefer my relationship to be with the gods, not some earthly, man made entity which thinks it has all the answers.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:58 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• i beleive in God but have no use for religion
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 4:10 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I believe there is a god, but I don't believe in religion. It ruins people, they live by it & force it in other peoples faces. They themselves go against what the bible says, but who should read/listen to most of the bible? How many times have they "altered" the bible? Too many, yet people still say it's original & that it's what our country was found on. Then they sit there & judge their "neighbors" which is against the bible, then sit there and say only god can judge me... Religion seriously ruins lives.. JMO though.
    something_

Answer by something_ at 4:33 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• religion is a money making business- nothing more nothing less.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 4:29 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• "Religion, as a whole, has been infiltrated with human greed and power."

No, that's false. Before making a statement like that, you should study the thousands of religions out there. How do you know that ALL religions are infiltrated with greed & power? Sure, some are. But not all. I find it funny that people are so quick to lump all religions together as if they are all the same.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:43 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I believe in God but follow NO religion and my life has been MUCH better for it. There is no need for all the pomp and circumstance of organized religion. You do not need the man made tenets to have a relationship with the Divine but the early church convinced people that you not only needed their rules but you needed THEM to talk to God and that belief has never went away.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 5:35 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I abandoned religion and have never been stronger. I focus on the self and the energy around me. It is that simple.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 6:53 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I disagree with him completely. Besides worshiping God, the biggest part of my religion is attending church. Hebrews 10:25 says: Forsake not the assembling of ourselves together, as the maner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as you see the day approaching. We gather together for the breaking of bread (Communion), for teaching from the Word, and for fellowship. We share the same inspirations, illuminations, inclinations, temptations, aspirations, and motivations. We are working together for the same thing: the furtherance of the kingdom of God on earth. This is why I attend church--not because I have to, but because I want to.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 9:32 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

Visit Vatican city in Rome and view the billions of dollars worth of treasures and art works owned by them.  Tour Jim and Tammy Faye Baker's mansion, with the heated doghouse and limo-filled garage.  It doesn't say "all religion".  It says religion AS A WHOLE.  Which is very true.

witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 10:04 AM on Jul. 11, 2011