WHAT DO U DO?

My husband and I went to a subway to get some sandwiches. The 2 guys behind there did not understand english at all!! My hubby got frustrated and was raising his voice because the guy was just standing there and kept saying"What would u like on your sandwich"? My hubby kept telling him and the guy just stood there with a stupid look on his face!!!! I was getting aggravated! It took 15 minutes to order 2 simple subs!!!! How can these people come here and work when they cannot understand the english language? INS needs to go into all the subway shops and raid them!!!!! They r taking all the jobs away from the american citizens!!!!! We got our subs finally done because I resorted to pointing out what ingredients were what!!!!! Ordering food should not be stressful!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:03 PM on Jul. 9, 2011 in Food & Drink

• LOL! I see you are a little aggravated. I have learned to NEVER go through the drive through at our Subway because they will ALWAYS get your order wrong, then they argue with you when you bring it back! Then, the other day, I called customer support for a household product and couldn't understand a word the guy said! I know I pressed "1 for English"! lol
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 4:07 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Subway does not make a practice of hiring people who are not here legally. So, calling INS will do no good.

You should write Subway and request that proficiency in English become a job requirement.

This is not an example of "illegals" taking your most prized job, though.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:11 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Just because they dont speak english doesnt mean they are illegal. However, a job where you have to connstantly communicate in english, speaking english should be a requirement. Its rediculous, at the McDonalds by my house NO ONE speaks english, I find myself going out of my way to get a hamburger, and go to a different store, just so people understand me.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 4:16 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Welcome to America.... I understand English in not eh language of America but it's the most spoken and read.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:18 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Kword-we went inside for the food! There was no drive-thru!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:09 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Call subway HQ & report the store for hiring people that can't speak/understand english. It's pretty stupid of them to hire people that can't understand what your saying, especially when everything your telling the to put on your food is RIGHT infront of them & they still don't understand. There's something wring there. But I would definately report the store to HQ and have them take care of it! http://www.subway.com/Applications/CustService/frmCustomerService.aspx?WT.mc_id=C-SB-NAV&WT.mc_ev=mainNav-CustomerService
    something_

Answer by something_ at 4:21 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Imaginationmama-I can do without your sarcastic way u answered.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:28 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• leksismommy-I don't know where u live but all of the McDonalds restaurants in my area and there r a good number,they all speak very good english.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:30 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• something-thank u very much!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:31 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Does not sound like you have been in a different country before. But having to do that in the USA, when every one should speak enough English to get by is a different thing. I probably would have just walked out, or asked for the manager. Then complained.

Answer by louise2 at 4:48 PM on Jul. 9, 2011