The urge to cut yourself?

first off please don’t attack me and say that im crazy, doing it for attention, that im suicidal or that im a bad mother or that i would harm my children because of this, believe me i am none of those and all of that is false.

when i was a young teen i went through a lot in my life and when my mom got very ill i dealt with the depression with cutting myself in hidden places (like the bottom of my feet or my upper thigh so no one would see) it honestly gave me a sense of calm and relief instead of crying uncontrollable or doing other things like drugs or drinking, i cut myself for 3yrs.

i stopped myself many yrs ago but i continue to have urges to "relieve the pain" by cutting when i get over whelmed, i wanted to ask to see if anyone else gets "urges" and what they do to deal with it?

thank you and please be nice ladies

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:10 PM on Jul. 9, 2011 in Health

• I use to be a cutter as well and I get those urges a lot. But then I stop to think on the impact it could have on my kids and I dont do it.
    Try getting a punching bag and when you have those urges punch instead.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:11 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I used to do that too but now when I get urges I get my mind and hands busy
    vannahbaby213

Answer by vannahbaby213 at 4:15 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• My own mother struggled with this urge her entire life. After she passed away, I read some of her diaries she kept about it. What helped her was the sense of calm she got from nature. She loved thunderstorms, being outdoors, camping, fishing... Maybe if you find something else that gives you calm and peace and do that instead, the urges will be lessened. I wish I could give better or first hand advice, but I agree with mommy of two3088 that thinking of the ramifications on your children would make it easier to decide not to do it.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 4:15 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I used to cut in middle school to deal with depression and anxiety. I deal with it now through deep breathing, meditation, and allowing myself to cry and talk about my feelings.

You are definately not alone. There are many of us who have had run-ins with self-destructive behavior and/or eating disorders, which are very similiar.

Hugs.
    Anonymous

• yes, I self harmed for 14 yrs(started when I was 8 yr old) and can still have urges years after quitting. you need to find another activity to substitute or distract yourself from it. If you still have strong enough urges where you feel you need the painful stimuli, then try hold and icecube in your hand.

Learn to recognize your triggers and come up with a plan(when your not in a triggered mood) of how to deal with it and different self soothing or distraction techniques to implement when triggered.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 4:16 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I was never a cutter but I used to be a biter. I would bite myself so hard it would bruise and bust capillaries. I would wear long sleeves to cover the marks. For me it was 'punishment' for being angry, for being 'stupid' for being 'fat' or talking 'to much' I felt I needed to punish myself so I would remember next time... It has gotten better but I admit to the occasional outburst that leaves me again biting. I have had a therapist to help me through it. Oddly enough mine stemms form me being brutally teased 4 four years of my life from 5-8 grade. You hear how stupid, ugly and fat you are for that long and no matter what you say you feel you hear those thing sin the back of you mind.
    Anonymous

• You may be bipolar. I've known several people who've cut themselves and were bipolar. Cutting is self-mutilation. If you think about it, you are physically trying to punish yourself. It may have felt like it gave you some relief but that's because you're losing blood, which affects other biological functions. Being bipolar, you have something biologically imbalanced in you, but it can be treated like other biologically based conditions. I urge you to see a doctor asap to help you with this. You're in pain and it's not the best way to deal with it. Talking to a psychologist really can help. I've seen some work wonders. We all have problems and some find different ways to deal with it but your way of dealing with it can lead to death. I'm very concerned for you and hope you take this seriously. I wouldn't want your kids to be without you and you sound like you care about them. Message me anytime you need to talk. Take care dear!
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 4:19 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I have never experienced this but please DO go see a doctor and ask to talk this over with someone who can help you redirect these impulses before they become acted upon. This can't be any good for you, especially as a mum. x
    Womamhood

Answer by Womamhood at 4:20 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• bump
    esmith1984

Answer by esmith1984 at 4:20 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Being bipolar isn't a precursor to self harm nor the other way around. People self harm for a variety of reasons, its a coping mechanism, maladaptive but very effective. The act of self harm releases endorphines in the brain that helps to calm a person, it can be come a type of addiction where the person's body and mind/pshyce craves the release of endorphines.

The key to quiting is to learn more non harming coping mechanisms for dealing with ones emotions.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 4:26 PM on Jul. 9, 2011