Just a few questions about dog food and changing my puppies diet

I have an 8 month old Yorkie. she had soft food for her 1st 3 months and have some of those cans still in the pantry. When I switched her food to dry I chose what the groomer said would be good and I have really liked it....problem is she is the only one who sells it in the area and is 30 miles away and due to budget cuts can't really afford to spend $15 for a 3 lb bag.
I have 2 days worth of the dry left and would like to use up the canned food.
How should I go about this?
Also when the cans are gone I would like to commit to a cheaper brand of dogfood.....is it okay to have her go from dry to canned for about 3 days then back to another type of dry?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Jul. 9, 2011 in Pets

• no, too much wet food will give her the runs! Try to give her a little bit of wet food, then some dry food.
    something_

Answer by something_ at 4:23 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• oh yeah don't want her to get the runs she is still using puppy pads
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:31 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I would go ahead and start doing a mix-in of the new dry food you plan to feed with the two day supply of dry food that you have. Once you have her transitioned to the new dry you could add just a little bit of the wet food in periodically with that, but I wouldn't switch her around too much to avoid tummy upset. Here's what a general transition schedule looks like when you switch foods for dogs,:
    Day 1-3: Mix and give two thirds of the current dog food with one third of the new dog food.
    Day 4-6: Mix and give one third of the current dog food with two third of the new dog food.
    Day 7: Your dog is on 100% of the new dog food.

Since you have two days supply, I would try doing a modified version of this schedule.
    maxava

Answer by maxava at 4:53 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Mix in a little of the wet food,she will love it!! She won't get the runs!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 6:35 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I agree that you can mix the canned in with the dry. About switching to a cheaper brand, just how cheap do you mean? Cheaper isn't always better. Low quality food leads to poor health which may not be apparent (spelling?) at first, but will show up sometime. I personally feed my dogs Taste of the Wild. It gets a 5 star rating on www.dogfoodadvisor.com and it is grain free. I buy it online at www.petcarerx.com at about $43 for a 30lb bag (they have FREE shipping about every other week). Since you have a Yorkie, though, you can go with a much smaller bag (5lb = $10.49, 15lb = $24.49) and it will last a while or you could go ahead and buy the 30lb bag and keep a little at a time in a container and keep the rest in the freezer. Buying a bigger bag will save money. Whatever dry food you decide to switch to, make sure you do it gradually so the puppy/dog doesn't get an upset stomach.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:41 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Mix the food and get Her off those puppy pads! Nutro makes affordable, human grade products. There are lots of formulas to choose from.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 3:49 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I like Blue Buffalo brand, You can get it most anywhere and it is a bit more expensive than the lowere end foods. But I feel that it has saved us in vet bills. Now you have wet food and dry , I would simply mix somwet into the dry at each feeditng
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:33 AM on Jul. 13, 2011