Has anyone felt the same way?

My sisiter has 2 children a boy and a girl. The girl is 2 and hit, chokes, bites hardly talks. The boy4 talks non-stop and does not listen unless you yell at him. I get so annoyed when they are around me.
Am I a bad aunt?

momand4kids

Asked by momand4kids at 4:50 PM on Jul. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• No. You're not a bad aunt. It's really frustrating to watch misbehaving nieces and nephews. I have a similar situation in my life and sometimes wonder if the parents are just unable to see how much their child acts up. It makes me a bit sad, too, because it is putting the child at a disadvantage by not learning proper social behaviors.
    maxava

Answer by maxava at 4:59 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• You're not a bad aunt. But it sounds like you sister is a bad mom maybe. Not all parent can dicsipline their kids, they are scared their kids wont "like" them, I've actually heard that from someone before lol. So their kids grow up showing no respect to anybody, and without structure kids also can feel lost and scared and act out more becuase of that. Just be firm with them about the rules while with you, they will love the security and it might help. If you dont have kids yet it will be great practice for you.
    Eko

Answer by Eko at 4:54 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Trust me, you're not a bad aunt. My niece and nephew (13 and 14) were bad too, my niece were mouthy and my nephew always hitting people, but they're teens now and a LOT nicer and smarter, even on the honor roll at their middle school.
    TashaStar81

Answer by TashaStar81 at 8:24 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Nooo....my niece is 2 years old and she hits, scratches, pinches and screams!!! it's hard to just sit there and take all that from a 2year old, my sister just sits and stares at me to see if Ill do something about it! and laughing because she thinks its funny. Its is pretty frustrating situation. I usually just walk away out of respect for my sister, but honestly! my niece needs some serious time out. We were not raised that way, so I dont know why my sister is like that...and the funny thing is that when I am not around she disciplines my son...
    Bellhell

Answer by Bellhell at 2:44 AM on Jul. 10, 2011