Personalized backpack? Good gift or stupid?

My sons birthday is in a few weeks. He will be turning 5 and starting kindergarten soon. I planned to get him a personalized backpack for school as his gift. He has always loved anything that has his name on it since he was old enough to notice. He has a lunch box, stickers, etc. I said something about it on facebook and a girl I work with said that kids like to pick out their own backpacks and he will look silly going to school with his name on his bag. Its kindgergarten, not like he is going to college! So what are your thoughts?

Cass052005

Asked by Cass052005 at 5:11 PM on Jul. 9, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i think it is still cute at 5 years old. 9 or 10 years old ...not so cute though
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 5:12 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I would not recommend it but I am a paranoid parent, and would worry it would make it easier for strangers to try to steal my kids. if they see him walking, and read his name, call out to him...i mean, he is 5, he would naturally react to his name being called...so idk, I wouldn't do it, but if you know he would not be put in a situation like that, and the teacher will always be watching, and he is picked up from school or someone will always always be at the bus to get him then sure....
    december911

Answer by december911 at 5:15 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I think it's cute!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:16 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• At that age, you can get away with it but as they get older NO! He may enjoy going out and buying these really cool ones they put out at the beginning of the school year like , Transformers or what ever else is new for the year! Your decision, at the age of 5 and just starting kindergarten, he's gonna love either one probably!

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 5:16 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Thanks for your input! He saw me looking online and said "Why dont I have one of those? Order me one please mommy!!" lol. I am a pretty paranoid parent myself, which is why he wont ever be riding the bus or walking anywhere. lol. I will be dropping him off and picking him up. Plus I am a teacher so I know how frustrating it is when everyone has the same thing and it gets mixed up.
    Cass052005

Comment by Cass052005 (original poster) at 5:24 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I'm paranoid with December, I guess. I don't get any personalized with first name shirts, bags, anything. I do make labels or tags or personalize with monogram or last name. I guess it's just the cop's wife in me...

But on the other hand I don't think it's stupid. I think it's cute. My kids love things with their names on it, but never ever ever find things already made that way. Initials, yes, but not name. And in kindergarten I don't see any problem with picking it out for him. You know he is going to love it.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 5:54 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Depends on the area you live in, we live in a very small (pop. 800) town so everyone knows my daughter and she knows everyone, it wouldn't be a big deal to have her name on display, if, however we lived in a larger town, I would ONLY put either initials or just the first name. Kids for the most part are very trusting and gullible and it's just too dangerous, in my opinion. However, if you are the one that will be picking him up and dropping him off, he should be pretty safe. Straight from you to the teacher and straight from the teacher to you. I would definitely avoid personalized stuff at later ages though.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 8:31 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• MC brought Tris one and he loves it. It is handy at school as we know which one is his. In terms of people knowing his name, he never wears it, we carry it in, so no one can really see his name on it. We take him in and pick him up so it is never an issue. It is a just for school bag.
    M2TandM

Answer by M2TandM at 3:09 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• No I don't think its ever a good idea to let everyone know information like that. To a 5 yr old knowing their name is like saying you know them.
    specialrevolver

Answer by specialrevolver at 2:43 AM on Jul. 11, 2011