Do you think America is becoming more about Entitlement and less about Opportunity?

Do you think that too many American's have an entitlement mentality that threatens to seriously undermine principles that this country was built upon?
Do you think entitlement is going to create larger goverment and less opportunity to "live your American Dream"?
For example: If you make a choice to travel to India, and there was a bomb/terrorist situation. Would you expect the US government to help you? Or would it be up to you, since you chose the opportunity (and consequences) of traveling to a foreign land?
Can you give an example about how you think someone felt more "entitled" to something without putting forth the level of effort you felt you had put forth?

myame

Asked by myame at 12:45 AM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Oh absolutely!! Many many Americans believe that its the governments job to make sure they get money, a job, an education, and even day care. They are entitled to these things, bc of who they are, instead of what they are willing to do to create these things for themselves. What a shame.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 1:07 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Ben Franklin said that the Constitution only gives you the freedom to persue happiness. You have to go after it on your own.

I work for what I have. I make my own choices and take the consequences. I don't like the fact that some people want to get bailed out of the mortgages they took that they couldn't afford in the first place. . .
    We looked into that, read the whole thing, and decided to keep saving for a bigger downpayment.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:07 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• To quote another great
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

I think our great country is breaking down and won't be able to support the "entitled" much longer. I think people are starting to see that and are actually facing reality. So I would say that we already feel entitled and no that we're not becoming more entitled, I would say less or that's it's getting ready to be less.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Yes and no.
    Part of the problem is that right now, the ability for people to pursue opportunity has disappeared. It's become almost impossible for someone to honestly work hard and get out of lower or middle class. The gap between the extremely rich and the "average" has increased substantially, and the pay for the majority of Americans has gone significantly down in comparison to the cost of things.

So, yes, in a way, Americans are a lot about entitlement... but right now, unless we fix things so people have a lot better change taking advantage OF opportunity, we can't as a country less people fail by not helping them when they're honestly trying very hard.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 2:15 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• This country WAS built upon entitlement! The "white-man" felt entitled to Native American lands. Let's face it. We ARE greedy!!!!!
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 2:53 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I agree with Imogine. In fact I would argue most of the modern Western world is based on entitlement. All of our luxuries, money, etc comes at the expense of many, many poor, starving, and sick people in 3rd world country yet we don't really bat an eye.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:51 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

Or perhaps they siezed an opportunity? Afterall, that is what people did back then. They fought, declared, and established land. There is 2 sides to every issue.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:16 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• "We are all a product of our time and the circumstances prevalent at the time. If I had lived with the Europeans in America during the 19th century, would I have embraced what was going on then? If I had lived with the Germans in the 1930s and 40s, would I have embraced what was going on in Germany then? If I had lived in Scandinavia during medieval time witnessing the horrors of slavery and killings, would I have embraced what was going on then? (The Nordic countries practiced slavery during the middle ages, a master could for any reason kill his slave. Abolished in 1335)?

An example, of they did what was considered appropriate for the times.  To say that they felt entitled is simply not true.  Greedy?  And seeing an opportunity that was a marvel for their time (to est a new country)?  Perhaps, but entitled?  I don't think so.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:26 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• ooh and that quote was from http://www.nativeamericans.com/
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:27 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I do. I think more and more people expect the government to solve their problems. I think we are turning into a bunch of whiners, and not setting a good expample for the our children, ourselves, and the rest of the world.
    I do my part to teach my children about opportunity vs entitlement, but I also think there are other's out there that are raised to believe they should be "entitled" to a home, a job, higher education. This is not a natural right that's given to you at birth.
    I may WANT those things, but I am not entitled to them.
    myame

Answer by myame at 7:23 AM on Dec. 17, 2008