Advice on how to get a 3 and half year olf to write her name

Does anyone have any advice in our city for her to go to preschool she needs to be able to spell her name i am working so hard on it with her but she is not getting it at all

alcia_08

Asked by alcia_08 at 5:30 PM on Jul. 9, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Im the artsy fartsy type, get her some BRIGHT crayons and paper. make it fun let her think she is making a picture. Show her how to spell it and help her write it out. add stickers and fun things to it.

or kick it old school like my gma did with me and write it on a piece of note book paper and make her keep writing it over and over and over agian. this way is more boring and cause her to hate doing homework like it did me but itll show her how to do it.
    Meghan6391

Answer by Meghan6391 at 5:45 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• That should be something taught IN preschool, not required.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 5:33 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I do find it odd that is required... What is there was a fine motor delay... they can't go to pre school? Maybe it is more of a request than a requirement...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:36 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• well make it fun with her in helping her to spell her name like writting her name in different colors or color markers ...
    tinygirl336

Answer by tinygirl336 at 5:32 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• With My DD I started with learning to spell it out loud. Her name is pretty easy 'Quinn' so that did n't take to long. Then dropped it nad started letter recognition. Q was always for Quinn. It was a game. finding letters in books, on licensee plates, with alphabet cereal... That took a few weeks. Then we started writing the letter Q. She would write the Q I would write the rest and say each letter as I wrote it and 'how' I was writing it. ('u' Down then up- i - line and a dot-n a line and then a hump) She soon started saying it with me then insisting she try it. It took a few weeks time... but I didn't have a dead line and didn't push it... she is 3.5 and can wrote her name, it is big lol but she can wrote it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:34 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• That seems like a stupid rule, and that the people who made it don't really understand preschoolers. PRESCHOOL means "before school". Three year olds are not ready to write or spell. That's just a fact. Find another preschool. Find a licensed day care home mother, rather than some upity center that doesn't know anything.
    Now, to help her GET READY to write, you need to develop the fine muscle control in her fingers. Anything that requires her to pick up and move little things helps. Like doing puzzles, or lacing cards, or rolling playdough, or picking up pennies or legos. NEXT, spray shaving cream and have her write the alphabet letters she knows in that. Large letters - five inches. Preschoolers are slightly far-sighted and small print strains their eyes. Have her form the letters in her name with playdough. Sing the letters of her name like a song. She'll learn it. My granddaughter (age 4) learned her new addy in 1 day sing
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 5:37 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• SHe can spell it she just cant write it
    alcia_08

Comment by alcia_08 (original poster) at 5:35 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I wish it was a they want her to but they said if she cant then she cant go to pre school it is really dumb to me
    alcia_08

Comment by alcia_08 (original poster) at 5:36 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Wow, really? My daughter learned to write her name in K3, that's what they are there for isn't it? That's odd.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 5:39 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Is this a private pre-school? It just seems crazy to me... seriously not all kids are physically capable of writing at 3 or 4. Here is a create your own tracing sheets thing. I used this with DS in K.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:39 PM on Jul. 9, 2011