20month old hitting other child...

spacebar-is-messed-up-sorry.how-do-i-get-my-20-month-son-to-stop-hitting-the-girl-i-babysit?she-is-a-couple-months-older-than-him.we-made-the-mistake-of-swating-his-hand-or-butt-oops.timeouts-are-a-work-in-progress.anything-else-i-can-do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:16 PM on Jul. 9, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You CANNOT HIT a child to teach him NOT TO HIT. He's too young for time outs. Just tell him NO! Don't Hit! Keep saying it until he stops but until he learns, stay close to her and make sure you grab his hand (Gently) and tell him NO!
    Anonymous

• I agree with anon.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 6:23 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Take him out of the room if he hits again, tell him he can not go play with the other child because he can not behave. It is perfectly acceptable to spank him for hitting if no other method works.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 6:26 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I'm not sure why timeouts are in progress as you say but to make timeouts work, it starts right away. You don't give in even if they're crying for a long time. After they're quiet then take them back out with the rest of the kids. Repeating this everytime they misbehave (must be done immediately after the action), they will start to learn not to do that behavior. I must repeat though that you must not give in to their crying in order for it to work. Or you could keep them in separate but enclosed cribs/play areas
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 7:23 PM on Jul. 10, 2011