Can anyone help me figure this out?

So we got a 4 month old kitten a few weeks ago and my 3 year old is kinda rough with her. She follows her around and lays on her (trying to hug) and pulls on her tail and her legs. BUT my cat still wants to cuddle with her and play with her. I don't get it. Wouldn't you think that she would be super annoyed and stay far away from my DD? My mother in law has a cat and he's about 9 months old and he HATES my DD with a passion. He hisses and bites her and attacks her. We have to lock him up while we are there haha. Last night though, my kitty was laying on our bed while my DD was sleeping and she HAD to lay next to her. I thought she would wake her up so I kept moving her but she insisted on laying on her with her head on her. It was super cute actually. And also, when she was sick and throwing up last week, the cat was sitting next to the toilet making sure she was okay while my DD was gagging. She hovered over her all day that day.

Anyways, it's super cute...but I'm just curious. Why does she do this? Is it her motherly instinct? I would think she would hate my DD by now. But guess not! lol

Keeely07

Asked by Keeely07 at 6:42 PM on Jul. 9, 2011 in Pets

• My daughter learned at a year old how to treat our kitty. I hope you get on your daughter's case because at 3, she knows better.
    Anonymous

• it probably doesnt bother the cat. thats sweet, just keep an eye on them
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 6:45 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• We have 6 kids and have always had cats. Some cats are really empathic, and love kids, others just learn to stay away. We now have a nearly 3-yr old and two cats. One of the cats has "the look" and all he has to do is stare at our lil girl and she screams and tries to get away even though he's NEVER scratched her or bit or anything. The other cat, though, is all super-cuddly with her, sleeps next to her, they just adore each other. And she has yet to learn how to properly handle a cat, but this one, Mango, is just really tolerant. It's adorable! When our now 18 yr old son was a baby he had a cat that would sleep in the cot next to him and he's grown up loving cats. :)
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 6:47 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• We got a kitten from a friend that had to move. This little kitten is so cuddly.
    I think, you just got a cuddly kitten with good temperament.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 6:51 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Aww judimary...that's so cute! :)

And to anon....I DO get onto my 3-yr old. Trust me. But when she's never been around cats...it's not like she knows better. It's a learned thing. She knows how to act around dogs because she's been around a lot of them, but not cats. She's still learning.
    Keeely07

Comment by Keeely07 (original poster) at 6:51 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I guess cowardly Anon is just a better mother.... what a self righteous thing to say; anonymously no less.

OP, your child and your kitty sound adorable.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 6:52 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Thank you ochsamom....I agree :)
    Keeely07

Comment by Keeely07 (original poster) at 6:53 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I think you just got the kitty so young she doesn't know its not normal to have a child torment you all day. LOL! I have one of those kitties too. My old cat is a bitter old man and hates kids. The one we got as a kitten that has had kids around his whole life follows them around, takes the abuse, and goes straight to bed with them at night.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:55 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Female kitties r sometimes more easy going. My cats have always been like that,nice and gentle. The kitty just likes the attention but,just watch her with the kitten,just in case. Enjoy your kitten.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:16 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• My cat plays rough with grown ups but he's super gentle with even the most harassing child. I think kitty knows he could kick their ass and that's enough for him.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 3:46 PM on Jul. 11, 2011