Metal

Is it normal to feel like I have a mouth full of pennies.......I mean taste wise? I have a metal like taste in my mouth. I'm 38 weeks pregnant if that means anything or helps. All of my test came back normal at my appointment a few days ago. So I dont know.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:46 PM on Jul. 9, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Yes it is normal.

:-(

doulala

Answer by doulala at 6:51 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• What to do about dysgeusia

Try banishing that metallic taste with acids. Focus on sour flavors such as citrus juices, lemonade, and — assuming your tummy can handle them — foods marinated in vinegar (pickles anyone? After all, you are pregnant). All these foods not only have the power to break through the metallic taste in your mouth during pregnancy, they also increase saliva production, which will help wash it away. You might also talk to your practitioner about changing your prenatal vitamin; some seem to lead to metal mouth more than others.

Another trick: Try brushing your tongue each time you brush your teeth, or rinse your mouth with a mild salt solution (a teaspoon of salt in eight ounces of water) or a baking soda solution (1/4 teaspoon baking soda in eight ounces of water) a few times a day to neutralize pH levels in your mouth and keep away that flinty flavor.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 6:53 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Couldn't have said anything more than doulala.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 6:58 PM on Jul. 9, 2011