Do you or anyone you know have sleep apnea?

I have snored really bad my whole life. I finally went in for a sleep study and they told me that I quit breathing 26 times PER HOUR and that I need a machine for sleeping. I feel like such a loser. I mean, how romantic is that when your husband wants to get it on and I have a big ass mask on helping me breathe at night. I'm just really upset.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:58 PM on Jul. 9, 2011 in Health

• I had it after surgery in October.. scary stuff! Other friends of mine have it as well and they don't mind the mask and only wear it when they actually intend to go the bed, they will make a joke about darth vador once in a while but they have learned to laugh about it all and just be happy for their health
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 7:05 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Same thing with my hubby. Problem is though that I CAN'T sleep if he's snoring. I'm talking up till 6 am when he leaves for work- then I'm "lazy" cause I sleep till noon. If he has his mask on I'll go to bed and snuggle with him. If he won't wear it/falls asleep without it, I'm on the couch, or up all night.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 7:18 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• My FIL has it. When we travel he brings it to the hotel. Its much better for you even though you look like a space cadet. I bet yoyou and your husband will get much better sleep.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 7:30 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Well my husband can actually sleep through my snoring without a problem and he is against me getting it. I'm only 36 but like I said, I've had this my whole life.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:32 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Why is he against something that can improve your health?

Most people wait to put the mask on until they're about to go to sleep anyway. And if you already have the mask on and want to have sex, you can always just take it off.

My mom still reads when she goes to bed and doesn't put her mask on until she's done and ready to turn the lights out; there are even times when she dozes and has to wake up a little to put the mask on, but she sleeps SO much better and actually feels rested.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 7:46 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Well, my husband was a nurse and he thinks that the place that diagnosed me might be wanting my insurance to cough up the money to get me a machine. I doubt it because they hook you up to wires and test you all night long. He also thinks that 30 years ago, nobody had a problem with sleep apnea or if they did, they got along fine without a machine. It's not about the money, my insurance will cover it 100%, he just thinks it's BS. And the man himself doesn't snore a lick!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:56 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• My husband had te surgery done and it made a HUGE difference in his breathing and his snoring. He still snores a little, but it is like a quite baby snore, not the bear he used to sound like. His sleep apnea just kept getting worse his whole life. It's a hard recovery from the surgery, but he said he'd do it again in a heartbeat.
    marieadams

Answer by marieadams at 8:01 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• FIL had it - had surgery (tonsils & adenoids out, as well as a bunch of other reconstruction type stuff in his nose, and more). He's been good since. DH had it - had the same surgery as his dad, just not quite as major and has been good since. DD had it - she had her tonsils & adenoids out shortly before her 4th birthday and has been good since. I'd rather have a relatively minor surgery than wear a mask.
    Anonymous

• I have it. But its mild. I was offered a second sleep study to try the cpap but didn't do it. However i only had around 17 apneas TOTAL for the whole night. So it's not severe enough to need a cpap, it was just offered. I'd get it. Its free. As far as your dh, there were a lot of things that didn't have treatments 30 years ago. Just because people survied doesn't make it "getting along fine". We continue to learn more about the body and learn more about what conditions increase risk for more serious illnesses. They may not have died due to apnea, but they died from SA complication. Even aside from that, using a cpap relieves your symptoms. Fatigue, headaches, poor quality of sleep. Even if he thinks a cpap is a waste and unnessacary, why would he not want your symptoms to go away. True, the cpap may not cure, and people lived without it, but the quality of life was lower because of the symptoms.
    Trinity001

Answer by Trinity001 at 1:31 AM on Jul. 10, 2011