Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump


Does anyone know the steps for CPS cases? We recently called CPS on my husband's ex, which was much needed. They went out there, but we don't know what happened.

Alittle history on step daughter's mother moves every 6 months, changes numbers every 2 they are living in these nasty lodges where there are drugs, bugs, drunks, fighting, etc. There are at least 5 people living in one. When she comes over, she smells badly. She comes over with many bruises and is always sick. When she has actual boo boos they are usually red, like they haven't been medicated. She has come over with lice like 3 times in the past 6 months. She has cut her hair like 5 times in the past 6 months. Dentist found 11 cavaties last year when she was 2 years old and it took her 8 months to get them fixed after we bugged and bugged her. Now everytime she comes over her gums bleed and are purple. This was done 3 months ago. Her teeth were rotting before and had to get caps. She is almost 4 now. We called CPS 4 times now. As you read earlier they finally went out there. We know they went because the mother contacted my husband saying she was pissed at him for calling. But we didnt tell her we did. Do not comment if you have something negative to say.

Update: My husband's ex texted my husband and was mad because they came out to her. She said they CPS lady said she is in the clear. But now all of a sudden they are moving and my step daughter came over with new clothes and said her brother and sister got some new ones as well. I think that is suspicious, meaning that she told them they needed to get out of there. I dont know though. Then she continued to say that if any of our family calls on her again that she will make up lies to get them on us(we have the text saying this too). We don't know what CPS is going to do. All we know is the little girl is still with her....

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:09 PM on Jul. 9, 2011 in Parenting Debate

Answers (10)
  • we are actually going thru similar things ourselves what you have to do is contact another agency we actually had to leave state to get help because the dfs lady was backing the scumbag instead of the little girl if there is an open investigation then ya'll should have assess to everything if there is no investigation notify the police with your concerns of abuse and neglect also if the case worker doesn't want to help you then go above her head go to her boss then the next boss go to the county attorney and even the governor if you need too also hire a great lawyer and amend the parenting plan best of luck your step daughter is in my prayers

    Answer by tasha080808 at 2:18 AM on Jul. 26, 2011

  • you never know some workers go easy and like cps has been doing lately is taking children that don't need to be taken and leaving children that need to be taken so it could be a number of any reasons and the new clothes, i am not sure but there are some programs out there and they might have helped her get in touch with those programs

    Answer by meliscool72 at 2:07 AM on Jul. 26, 2011

  • record everything and call them back if needed

    Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:37 AM on Jul. 17, 2011

  • you have a legitimate concern and you can continue to check up with CPS. You should continue to check up with them! It obviously did some good. Even if you cant afford a lawyer many of them will give you a consultation. You can learn alot about the process and your jurisdiction laws simply by sitting through one consultation. Many lawyers will take pro-bono work or know a coleage that will. Just remember, it never hurts to ask.

    Answer by Ms.Gwen at 8:57 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

  • As long as YOU are taking proper care of the child while in your care, you have nothing to worry about whatsoever! Tell her to bring it on, and in the mean time gather as much evidence as possible.......if you have a digital camera with date stamp, take pics of anthing that seems out of the ordinary with the child while in your care and ust save them for future.

    Answer by truthteller0722 at 4:14 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

  • Unfortunately we dont have the money to get a lawyer. We have tried calling legal aid and that Pro bono stuff, but no one is taking custody cases. We are a one income family. And just have had to pay for school. And we have 2 other kids to support as well. We have tried everything we can that is free except trying to file custody papers without an attorney. But I dont know if that would work since we dont really KNOW the law and since it is hard to prove a mother unfit. I have seen worse than this and the mother still was "fit" enough for the judge. We are still hoping CPS are is not done with the case. We hope they did not just dismiss it. And we were informed from a CPS worker that if we keep calling and they keep dismissing the case, then we will get in trouble for false allegations.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:34 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

  • Your DH needs to contact a lawyer and seek full custody he should document everything, get doctor and dentist reports. There is no way I'd sit back if my kids were in this situation.


    Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:34 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

  • I would go after them for custody of the child she needs to be removed from that environment, keep after CPS and even call the police like mentioned before especially if she comes to you injured

    Answer by DianeMary at 7:21 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

  • All I would say is show/ tell CPS everything just so they have it on record (e.g. the text saying she would make up lies) & make sure they get it all written down & properly filed, also tell them you are worried about them moving & you not knowing where they are - unfortunately with CPS you have to keep on bugging them to get any information & to get them to do something about it (I know this isn't the case with ALL CPS workers:) Hope that helps & good luck

    Answer by Ellie15 at 7:15 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

  • Oh hell no, that is sick and wrong. First off, don't worry about her saying she will sick CPS on you. My ex mother-in-law said that a lot and it never freaking happened. I would call the police, I would get an attorney, I would ensure that abusive woman never looked at her kid wrong again. That is SICK! I mean, she obviously doesn't give a crap. I have never heard of a kid that young having so many caveties!!!

    Answer by emmyandlisa at 7:13 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.