How do you know what color your hair should be once you get older?

I always ask this question of stylists, but always seem to get two different answers. What have you heard and what do you believe to be true? My natural color is a mousey brown. I've had highlights, but really am not too happy with that result either.

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 7:11 PM on Jul. 9, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• The above answer was correct. You do not want extremes. I really do not like severe dark hair on older women. I am an older woman, so I can say that. I think highlights is the answer or maybe a combination of highlights and lowlights. You probably need to change stylists.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:20 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I'm not sure what you mean. Some people, when they get older, make the mistake of going super blonde, which only makes them look older. Others, go super dark, which makes them look too pale. I'd go for a happy medium. My mom let herself go natural gray and it's not the pretty gray either! I have quite a bit of gray in my hair, I faithfully go in every 3 months to have my roots dyed a medium brown and then I have blonde chunks put it.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 7:15 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• My hair is mouse brown as well. I've been all over the spectrum with hair coloring and have decided to just stay natural. I'm looking forward to my old age and having long white hair. lol. Oh now there's a question, long hair or short hair on older women? =P
    luvohmommy

Answer by luvohmommy at 8:26 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I usually opt for variations of my natural shade before the gray.
    CoffeeWriter

Answer by CoffeeWriter at 8:38 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• What a strange question. Your hair "should be" whatever colour you want it to be, whether you're 20 or 80 years old. Why do you even think there should be an answer to this question. You are an individual. Make a choice! Don't ask a hairdresser to tell you what you "should" look like.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 7:13 PM on Jul. 9, 2011