Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Should I contact CPS??? Its my MIL

My hubbys little brother, 14yo, and his sister, 17yo, are living with my MIL. Both are smoking, 17 yo for 3 years. the 14yo for a year and a half now. MIL buys them their cigarettes ( a pack each a day). Both of the kids smoke pot at the house, she doesnt buy that, but their friends bring it over and they smoke it in their rooms. I cant send my DDs to her house anymore because the kids constantly have their friends over every night, there is constantly at least 5 teenagers at the house, smoking cigarettes, smoking pot. I dont want my DDs around that. MIL took her kids out of school in February and told the district they will be homeschooled, she was afraid they would get held back because they both have all Fs and ditch school half the time. Those kids havent been homeshcooled feb-may. They are planning to do online schooling for next year. This woman has no common sense. For her DDs 17th birthday she took her daughter to Vegas (were in CO) to hook up with her online boyfriend shes never met.

I see this as child abuse. What do you think??? Should I call CPS?

and she is the kind of woman that thinks she is always right, shes a saint in her own eyes. Very self intitled


Asked by Anonymous at 7:19 PM on Jul. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (13)
  • At the very least its neglect. Wouldn't hurt to call.

    Answer by SalemWitchChild at 7:22 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

  • Because the kids are older I doubt they would do anything :( and they would probably say the accusations are untrue. Sorry hun.

    Answer by sugamama3 at 7:24 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

  • You can try but I am not sure tgey can take it. Here is a good way to report it: " I personally saw a 14 year old and 17 year old smoking pot, with their mother's knowledge and consent, while not in school. These children have not been in school for many months and when enrolled in school tgey attended school X". Leave out the this is my MIL unless asked what relation they are to you. Social services goes only on what you have directly seen or heard. If you say you just know....that is not enough. How do you know? You have to have seen it. And leave out your MIL is a know it all. CPS will not take cases fled with just drama created by family petty opinions. Only the facts as you have personally observed, write them down before you call. And then call.

    Answer by frogdawg at 7:40 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

  • A freaking pack a day? At that age? WTH?!!! Hell yeah, I'd call CPS and the cops. Isn't it illegal to smoke if you are under 18 and the last time I checked, pot was illegal too! And who would take their kid to Vegas so she can meet up with a potential pervert murderer? You did the smart thing-don't let your kids go there, she'll teach them how to smoke too!

    Answer by emmyandlisa at 7:22 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

  • But yes call to see what they can do.

    Answer by sugamama3 at 7:28 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

  • That is very alarming and I do no blame you for being concerned , ...but I think your husband needs to talk to his mom and decide what to do from there. CPS might a little too late and too serious a step. If you are the person heading up an intervention of sorts, you will just be seen as an interloper. If your husband deals with his mom directly, there is more a chance for real change.

    Answer by ochsamom at 7:28 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

  • I dont expect them to really do anything, Im just hoping it would open her eyes a little bit. If they showed up maybe she would reconsider what she was doing

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:30 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

  • I would call, but like the others have said I doubt very much will be done. Maybe just being contacted by CPS will scare your MIL into getting her act together.


    Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:31 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

  • He has tried talking to her, but its no use. Ive tried talking to her about it, but she blew up on me and told me its none of my business.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:32 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

  • I doubt calling CPS or trying to talk to your MIL will help anything.
    A lot of teenagers are followers, as much as they want to believe they aren't. What would happen if your DH talked with his younger siblings about their behaviors and the fact that how they are living now is only temporary. A few years down the line they'll have to support themselves and their habits.

    Answer by luvohmommy at 7:47 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

Next question in General Parenting
I need help

Next question overall (Home & Garden)
PleasE explain this to me!