Can I quit and get unemployment for sick baby?

My newborn son has a Cardiac Arrhythmia. I have been considering quitting my job to be with him, but I would still need income. I am still on my leave. Can you get unemployment if your child needs you and you quit your job? I live in Michigan.

mistical_me

Asked by mistical_me at 7:36 PM on Jul. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No you cant, when you get unemployment you need to be actively seeking employment, and be able to start any time.

There should be another way.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 7:38 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Nope. You have to be fired to even apply for it. Quitting will not get you anything. BUT, look into FMLA for long-term - no income from it but it protects your job so you can take a longer leave.
    Anonymous

• Uuuuuuuuuuuuuugh. He does not qualify for disability...
    mistical_me

Comment by mistical_me (original poster) at 7:42 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Nope, I got fired when my son was sick and got it though. Maybe that helps a little. But i did have doctor slips to advise of his illness. Have you filed for FMLA?
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 7:42 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• talk health and human services and social security disability. I know of parents who get paid to stay home and take care of very sick or disabled chidren. if you quit you wont get unemployment right away anyways, and if you dont make the required job contacts you could get fraud and face jail time. another option may be to talk to your employer about the family medical leave act. when i was pregnant with my 3rd i had to be on bed rest. my husband's job paid him to stay home to take care of me and had a job when my doctor gave him a release.
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 7:43 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I already got short term disability, paid, for leaving early because I was ill and injured during pregnancy...
    mistical_me

Comment by mistical_me (original poster) at 7:44 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I am due to return to work soon, but very worried about it. He will be with his dad, but I am still concerned and I would never forgive myself if something happened while I was at work. On top of that, I HATE the company I work for.
    mistical_me

Comment by mistical_me (original poster) at 7:48 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Have you applied for SSI for your son? You may be able to get that...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:50 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• You need to file for FMLA, unemployment doesn't work that way.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:51 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Sugarmama is right. Do you have FMLA? Ask your work. No, you can't get unemployment for quitting and you definitely can't get it for being fired. You only get it for being laid off.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 7:52 PM on Jul. 9, 2011