Regarding Dogs...sisters from same litter

We adopted two Siberian Husky puppies a couple of weeks ago...females from the same litter. They are now 10 weeks old and they started their puppy training classes at Petsmart this morning.

The trainer went on and on about how it's not a good idea to have litter mates...especially if they are females. She said she has worked with rescue facilities who refuse to let anyone adopt more than one from the same litter. We've heard people say having two females may be difficult(which after owning two previous sets of females, we never had a problem, so not sure how much I believe that), but never about litter mates.

Anyone have any experience with this or knowledgeable information they can share?

EDIT:  I should specify...I'm speaking of things like AGGRESSION and such, not how they feel if the other dies.  Thank you though...

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 7:41 PM on Jul. 9, 2011 in Pets

• OK--aggression. The answer is yes, ours get very ugly sometimes. They get aggressive with each other but not other animals or people at all. They kick each others asses to show who the boss is. Sometimes they get ugly at dinner even when each one has their own bowl of food. But you know, the cuteness makes up for it I guess!
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 8:13 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• They may not bond with you as well and become co dependent on each other. If something happens to one of your dogs the other one risks becoming permanently depresses to the point of even death.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:45 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Yes, we have 2 Beagles from same litter. The thing about getting 2 dogs at the same time is that they will not bond with you first like they need to. They will bond with eachother first and that is a problem. Our dogs love each other so much which, yes, it is cute. Where one goes, the other goes. They do everything together. The problem, I think, is when one of them dies, the other one is going to be completely lost.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 7:45 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• It varies. My mother and I both bought female collies out of the same litter. Due to moving my dog is currently living with her so the sisters are together and they are just fine. Thats not to say every litter mate is going to get along. It depends on their personalities. If you have two dominant dogs your going to have problems especially if you yourself are not working to be the pack leader.

My dog is not dominant, so there's no issue. I grew up with several dogs in the house. All of them have been female. (not always litter mates though).
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 8:06 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• The agression part, which is what she is asking about, I find untrue. We had 2 female Siberian husky pups and they were beyond sweet to us. as they got older the vet warned us that when one was getting sick, the other might start acting out. We now only have one of them left ( the other passed away 3 years ago) and she is stil sweet. She did become depressed, but with the vets help, perked up in a matter of weeks. She never become aggressive even after loosing her sister.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 8:08 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I have beagles,three of them and they bonded with each other and the family just fine no problems. I don't see a problem!!! I don't know why petsmart would say that. I was always told that it is good to get dogs from the same litter!
    Anonymous

• Sorry for the stupid words! I pad keeps spelling for me! Grrrr
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:46 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Three years ago, my step-father's first wife got two of my collie's puppies, both of them female. Their names are Daisy and Lilly and they are very close but there is a lot of sibling rivalry with them, like if she's petting one of them, then the other one nudges her way into your lap and is more insistent then her sister. They fuss and fight over food and toys and attention but they are very close. They snuggle together in their doghouse, and last year when Lilly got sick and was out of it for a few days, Daisy never left her side. When dogs are raised together they form a pack like bond.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 8:53 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I would personally cross that bridge when I come to it. If it's not a problem right now it's just borrowed trouble.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 3:41 PM on Jul. 11, 2011