So, exactly two nights in advance, DH informs me that I need to get small gifts for 7 children at our holiday dinner (Army) on Thursday night. What do I give them????

This is coming out of pocket, so it can't be too much, but I don't want to give them crap either. I know that the parents of these children do NOT allow candy otherwise I'd hook 'em up with some candy canes and chocolates and call it a night :-) Please help!!!!! Thank you.

sgalsmommy

Asked by sgalsmommy at 12:58 AM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Holidays

• How old are the kids? I always love to give children books. If it's going to be at a party maybe you could get them activity books and crayons to keep them occupied. Little ones tend to get bored at parties. I hope this is helpful.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 1:03 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• That's a terrific idea! I just found out it's actually 8 kids; I know that 4 of them are of coloring book age.... completely in the dark about the rest. Thanks so much!!
    sgalsmommy

Answer by sgalsmommy at 1:24 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I would go to the dollar store, and get them each a 1.00 stocking, a coloring or other type book, crayons, a small toy, and maybe add a couple of pieces of fruit, nuts, etc since they can't have candy. BTW, what meanie won't let their kid have candy at a Christmas party??? (Just kidding, don't freak out people)
    sandra1023

Answer by sandra1023 at 2:30 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Wal-mart has super cheap stuff, don't stress!, a child is so happy when they are given anything and feel special. Don't go overboard. Buy 7 $5 gifts or however you want to budget. You'd be surprised how anything makes someone feel good. I get so happy when I am given a card! and my son gets happy when he is given candy cane and any more then that makes him ecstatic.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 2:53 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• We did the same thing for my hubbys squadron partys. All the girls i got them little chapstick-lipgloss kits ( from dollar tree) and the little boys just cars or guns heh. But then again i was buying for 30 + kids at a shot. If it were 7-8 kids i would spend a little more if i could afford it.They have really cute bath "kits" at walmart for 5 dollars.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 6:07 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• in the toy section they often have travel mini-games for cheap. of course youd have to watch for age variances, parts. puzzles are always fun. toe socks! ohh how about hand made puppets from old unmatched socks would be fun...not expensive & fun to make...all ages love sock puppets.
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 12:10 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• coloring book with some crayons sounds great or if the kids aren't staying long you could get them small stuffed animals from the dollar store. otherwise wallmart usually got 5 dollar deals just check for those
    glossyblack

Answer by glossyblack at 3:36 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Go buy Twister (that'll keep them busy), go with the coloring books and crayons for all, and then a hotwheel car for each boy and something small to keep each girl occupied.
    Anonymous