How do you relieve stress and anxiety?

i already suffer from anxiety disorder, i'm in cognitive therapy with no meds but i'm considering getting on meds because there are times i just can't handle it. there is so much stress in my life that causes the anxiety to occur. it seems being on the computer is the only remedy because my mind is completely distracted. my kids are in bed and i would just like to enjoy a calm, stress-free evening without just giving up and going to bed. any home remedies or advice you can give? baths don't help, i'm not able to relax in there and shut off my mind.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 8:22 PM on Jul. 9, 2011 in Health

• I pray and read my bible. Also, talking about my fears and problems with a good friend helps too.
    maggiebgood

Answer by maggiebgood at 9:22 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• walks
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 8:37 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• also journaling
    mamawilbur

• Please don't bash but I am on medicinal marijuana for a panic disorder and it has helped me far more than any of the unnatural garbage they prescribed me for all the years before MM was passed here. It has seriously given me my life back.
    Anonymous

• getting lost in a good book and living the real world for awhile. Helping right now thourgh my divorce and husband sueing for custody of my 3 girls.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 9:16 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• walking helps and writting in a journal also helps. Find out what your trigger are if u haven't already I also have a panic disorder and bipolor disorder. I am taking effexor and it has worked like a charm with my panic attacks which used to be real severe, enough where I had to go to the ER cause I really thought I was having a heart attack cause my chest felt like I had a elephant sitting on top. I have tried reading books cause that is my fav thing to do, but I find I cannot pay attention. Writing really helped me
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 9:29 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• When u say u can turn off your mind, does it happen when u r trying to sleep too?
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 9:31 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• yes at night i have trouble falling asleep and toss and turn all night. my mind is always going going going with worry, what if's, etcetera. i have waken up on occasion having a panic attack, those suck but thankfully they dont' happen often, like a couple times a year. there are days i'm anxious all day long.. ugh i hate it so much. i am doing thought journals suggested by my psychologist, they do seem to help a little.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 9:39 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• try to put all your thoughts on paper right before bed so everything is out of your mind til the next day when you can start fresh.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 10:20 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• work outs help,alot! Drink green tea,it relaxes u!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:01 PM on Jul. 9, 2011