Babysitting under the table???

What are the Pros and Cons of this.....besides the getting caught part.

I babysit and do it under the table if I report it and do the whole tax thing my child and I wouldn't have insurance and I have health problems (was on ssi and medicaid my whole child hood for some reason after I had my child they took medicaid away not sure why but no insurance will take me b/c of my existing problems). So I HAVE to have the low income medicaid right now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:27 PM on Jul. 9, 2011 in Money & Work

• If you never report any income, then to the best of my knowledge, you will not have social security or Medicare benefits when you're retirement age.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:05 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I'd quite babysitting then because you are screwing the rest of the U.S. by not claiming your work.
    Anonymous

• OK, I feel a bit bitchy for saying this, but are you really serious? I work my butt off to provide for my child and I pay lots of money in taxes that are going to pay for the assistance that you get. Act like a woman and tell the truth on your tax return.

blueberry1

Answer by blueberry1 at 8:38 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Actually, where I live (PA), it is legal to do so as long as you are not babysitting more than 3 kids at a time. I guess you are supposed to report it, but I know a neighbor who was reported and the state sent out an investigator but since she only had 3 kids the state said it was no problem and didn't do anything about her babysitting.
    Anonymous

• So... if you have never worked a day in your life you expect to receive a check? Sounds to me like you're trying to enjoy "retirement" now.
    Anonymous

• She means report her earnings on her taxes. Yes, quite wrong. It is fraud, and if you get caught (god willing) they will charge you for everything you received in public assistance which probably means the medical bills that have been paid for you, as well as fined.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:14 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• how often would you be doing it?
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 8:28 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I mean if its just $20 here and there or something I don't see the problem....
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 8:31 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I dont see a problem with it as long as all parties are in agreement and if youre not claiming it because you want to stay on assistance or something.
    Anonymous

• as long as it's just a couple hours every once in a while i don't see the problem
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 8:35 PM on Jul. 9, 2011