Is it cheaper?

When purchasing plane tickets, is it cheaper to contact the airline directly or go through websites like Kayak.com?

My baby sister is getting married in June next year. We live in northeast Texas, she lives in North Dakota (near enough to the Mississippi that they flooded this year), and my mom lives in between in Denver. I'm trying to figure out how I can make this trip affordable for myself, my husband, and our daughter.

Any ideas would be fantastic. Thank you!

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 8:33 PM on Jul. 9, 2011 in Travel

• search cheap flights on google and compare, it varies greatly. buy in advance and look for flights with connections to save money.
    japanic

Answer by japanic at 9:03 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• That's what I'm doing now. I've been searching Kayak.com and planned a layover in Denver to cut down cost. If we were able to book it right now, we'd be flying United at $375/ticket for $1,185. We also will have a hotel stay equalling (is that a word?) a total of $360 for four nights. After that, we'd have to worry about a rental car.

A possible idea is that we plan to save up what we would need for all three items (hotel, flight, and car) and just make the two day drive up there. This would mean at least a week of vacation time (staying more than two or three days to make the two day trip worth the long drive). I'm not sure how much vacation time I'm going to have saved up. We have a lot to think about between now and then; hopefully, we'll be able to figure something out.
    _Tam_

Comment by _Tam_ (original poster) at 9:25 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• www.cheapflights.com

www.expedia.com
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:21 AM on Jul. 19, 2011