Has bad customer service become the norm?

After the other day with the crappy service we got at the Chevy dealership,i figured it was a fluke.
Today we go to Lowe's to buy a dryer. No salesperson around,of course,then 2 show up. Neither has a clue. 1 walks us up to the register and rings us up. Wrong price of course....We show her the ad saying they're 10% off,she looks at us like we're full of shit and calls the manager over. He rings it up right finally.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 8:37 PM on Jul. 9, 2011 in Shopping

• Yes good service has declined, that is no lie.
    Sarah961

Answer by Sarah961 at 11:41 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I don't think so. We get really great customer service at restaurants.

I will say that big companies that have "scripts" for their employees, keep them in a big room and time their bathroom breaks, and train them to act a certain way and try to suggest-sell you products, that drives me nuts. Companies that allow their employees some autonomy- like, to make decisions within a certain amount of money to make you happy, those have happier employees and they give great service, most of the time.

As for at stores, I think bad service has always been around, but whenever you don't know the people personally (ie if your hardware store person knew you and lived nearby because you were in a small town) it's easier to have bad.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 8:42 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I definitely think customer service is going down the tubes in a lot of places, and when there are so many people out of work and receiving unemployment, there is NO excuse for keeping an employee on the payroll who does not provide GOOD customer service...bet they could find someone who would!

In fact, I once got a job by pointing out a string of bad customer service I had received from employees of a company and said "I can do better than that!"...and I did.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:03 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• NO it's not really the norm. However, it's becoming harder and harder to find. There are several reasons though, in their defense. The first being that most stores have cut down their staff due to economic reasons so much that it is harder to find someone to want to help you as an individual. Second, most customers these days are out to find issues with their service. That has, unfortunately, become the norm. It's like they start with an attitude and only expect it-- that creates a vicious cycle really.

The thing I absolutely HATE the most is when drive throughs THROW your money and food at you. Or when the Walmart check out lady rushes me through the line.... ARGH. No one has any patience any more.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:10 PM on Jul. 10, 2011